A&H

Pen or pencil ?

The Referee Store
Horses for courses. I carry both. Pencil clipped into my yellow card in my shorts pocket and a pen in my shirt pocket

Depends what you're writing on. Sharpies if I'm using write-on cards, pencil tucked into the notebook and a spare pen clipped to my top pocket if I'm using a card wallet.

It is whatever you like/prefer. Pens are very good for clear weather, but pencils are better when there's a shower.

Many swear by an Ikea pencil. Simple answer is both.

I have written (quite a bit) with same pen for 5 years. But have a spare and a spare pencil in the top pocket.

Some have 3 of the same pen. That would make me far too paranoid. The risk of simultaneous failure... atmospheric conditions...

That said it does rather depend what you are writing on and where;)

pencil will let you down much less than a pen will, ink running out failing to flow. pencils work better on damp/wet paperso i advise pencils

pencil will let you down much less than a pen will, ink running out failing to flow. pencils work better on damp/wet paperso i advise pencils
Yeh, I hear this a lot but in 6 years pen has never let me down (I do also carry a pencil btw.) Always test before I go and carry several just in case. What if you snap the nib on a pencil mid game? Not as fool proof as people make out imo.
My advice is go with what works best for you. Trial and error. If neccessary try switching between halves if somethings not working.

I use pens and it rains on us quite a bit around here. Heavy rain problem is never the ink but the wet soggy paper. I carry two pens ALWAYS (1 in pocket and 1 in my sock). I generally have at least 3 spare pens in my organizer on the sideline. I am in agreement with all around here

1. use what works best for you
2. ALWAYS HAVE SPARES

That being said, I have had to loan the following to other referees who weren't prepared: pen, score sheet, shirt, cards and a whistle (still can't believe that one. Wasn't because his lost function. He just didn't bring one). Just be prepared and have backups for for worst case.

Back