A&H

Passback restart

I wouldn't criticise a referee for allowing it to be taken quickly if it didn't give them any problems. On the other hand if it led to their match control falling apart then of course I would be highlighting it and perhaps suggested they could have managed it much better.

Generally speaking I think the game expects free kicks in goal scoring positions to be ceremonial and "on the whistle". If you don't allow it to be taken quickly it would have been forgotten about by the end of the game, I very much doubt the same could be said if you allowed it and a goal was scored.
However, that is an example of the referee manipulating the laws to suit his or her percieved need to manage the game. The law explicitly allows a quick free kick if the attacking team so wish.....assuming of course the ball is placed correctly and the free kick is not a 'restart' etc.

The Referee Store
However, that is an example of the referee manipulating the laws to suit his or her percieved need to manage the game. The law explicitly allows a quick free kick if the attacking team so wish.....assuming of course the ball is placed correctly and the free kick is not a 'restart' etc.

Does it? It defines what a quick free kick it, but it doesn't say it is allowed and certainly doesn't say it is mandatory for the referee to allow it.

Does it? It defines what a quick free kick it, but it doesn't say it is allowed and certainly doesn't say it is mandatory for the referee to allow it.
The definition is clear. A quick free kick requires the referees permission.

And it does not prescribe when the referee should not allow it either

I've allowed this exact quick free kick scenario
Under 9s. Last few minutes, potential deciding play
My son quickly passed the ball to his team-mate who made a complete arse of the open goal he was faced with 🤩

Generally speaking, I'd lean towards quick FKs (as they have been awarded inferring advantage). They should not be permitted (only) when there is clear reason not to. That said, there are lots of clear reasons to deny them, but I'm not sure proximity to the opponents goal or MC are on my explicit list for insisting on ceremony

Last edited:
The definition is clear. A quick free kick requires the referees permission.

I think the intent of that is that if the referee is, for example, giving a caution or consulting with an AR, etc., the referee would not permit the kick to take place because of the restriction on fixing an error after a restart. I don't think the intent is to give the R discretion to choose to make a free kick less advantageous than the Laws create. Dear me, another place the laws could be more clear . . .

I fear the fear of a commotion will be some referee's primary motivation; and I think that's wrong
That's going offa watching football rather than in my own experience as the MITM
Most teams at the bottom of the ladder never think about a 'quickie'. It's the players with more nowse and ability who are likely to fancy it. But then, it's their opponents who are at the same level of stopping it, even if it means taking a caution; so that's why they're somewhat uncommon overall

The definition that is found in the glossary.
See my earlier post.
Exactly, with the 'referee's permission' out there in brackets. Not all free kicks are on the whistle, therefore permission is implied unless you state otherwise...stop denying the advantage to the offended attacking team

I’d be happy to allow it to happen so long as all of the stars align, namely:

1) Keeper picks up a back pass
2) Keeper then drops the ball and doesn’t hold on to it
3) Attacker is close enough to get the ball quickly
4) Attacker places the ball in the exact spot of the offence and the ball is stationary when kicked

Also Woven into that would be there would be no stop of the game to deal with any protests around the decision of the IFK that requires a talking to or sanction, or from any advantage I had played and the ball had not gone out.

If any of the above criteria are not met (or I need to speak to a player), then we’re going ceremonial.

Long-time stalker; first-time poster. Thanks for all the advice in the past guys - much appreciated.

Given the potential for angst and loss of match control if things go wrong, my inclination would be to step in. However - and I don't think that anyone has mentioned this yet - remember this is an indirect free kick. Keep your arm down as an insurance policy. If the attacking team go quickly and the GK and his defenders are clearly not ready, quick blips on the whistle and apologies all round, "Sorry guys, I wasn't ready and didn't have my arm up to show it was indirect. Let's go again, and it's on the whistle this time"

Long-time stalker; first-time poster. Thanks for all the advice in the past guys - much appreciated.

Given the potential for angst and loss of match control if things go wrong, my inclination would be to step in. However - and I don't think that anyone has mentioned this yet - remember this is an indirect free kick. Keep your arm down as an insurance policy. If the attacking team go quickly and the GK and his defenders are clearly not ready, quick blips on the whistle and apologies all round, "Sorry guys, I wasn't ready and didn't have my arm up to show it was indirect. Let's go again, and it's on the whistle this time"
Good point, however, if all is good, let it go. We all seem to forget, a free kick is not normally on the whistle, that is just players misconception from years of mistaken colleagues...........

Ideally, we're shouting 'Indirect' with our arm in the air on seeing that the player is about to take a 'quickie'

Ideally, we're shouting 'Indirect' with our arm in the air on seeing that the player is about to take a 'quickie'
Good point. For double drama, maybe the attacker won't realise it's indirect, will blam it directly into the back of the net and then we'll have to allow the quick FK, disallow the goal and upset both teams in one kick!

Good point. For double drama, maybe the attacker won't realise it's indirect, will blam it directly into the back of the net and then we'll have to allow the quick FK, disallow the goal and upset both teams in one kick!
Worth noting here If the referee fails to signal an indirect free kick and a goal is directly scored the kick must be retaken.

I think on a 'backpass' almost all players know it's indirect and very unlikely to kick it directly into the net. The big giveaway is that they are taking it from inside the penalty area.

Although the players should realise it's indirect (because it would be a penalty if not) they will probably not do so immediately. Why would you require a retake because the GK and defenders are not ready?

Back