First, this is a side effect of the change on GKs not leaving the PA, which is the only reason this confusion is even possible. Ultimately, we have a construct where the question is whether the GK’s kick was an effort to put the ball in play or not. We’ve seen other scenarios where a player clearly took the kick to put it in play, and the R ignored it when. Player picked it up.
Second, there is no way to evaluate this without the context of the game. Was the GK usually taking them with a pass inside the GA? Was the player who “handled” the one who was usually taking the kicks? Was the Rs count running down? (I couldn’t tell from the clip.)
third, this is going to recur every now and then with our current rules—and the R is damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t. Ever since the Law change, I’ve advocated for at least a requirement the ball leave the GA to be in play to reduce the risk of confusion. (And I’ve argued for the same thing for CKs—must leave the arc to be in play.) I really hate the box the R is put in on plays like this