A&H

Parents

Mabaw

Hi, You’re refereeing a girls match and you hear parents swearing at the girls. The players are under 18 so they are classed as children. Do we all stop the game???

The Referee Store
No.
Have a word with home team manager and ask him to sort them out. It’s their responsibility.

Hi, You’re refereeing a girls match and you hear parents swearing at the girls. The players are under 18 so they are classed as children. Do we all stop the game???
Perhaps. Depends if there's any safeguarding issue
The match day delegate should speak with the parent and have them removed if necessary or if the behaviour persists

You have a certain degree of care for the players especially minors. Here is how I would deal with it.
1. Short pause and get both managers. If you can get a home club/ground official, get them there too. Explain that you want abuse of players from side line stopped by whatever means they see fit. Restart the game straight after.
2. If it continue happening, stop the game. Get the ppl from step one. Tell them you are suspending the game for 5 minutes. They can use that time to do what they can do to stop the abbuse. You will restart after 5 minutes and if it continues you will abandon the game.
3. Restart after 5 minutes and if abuse continues abandon the game (or suspend indefinately).

I must add 'swearing' is a generic term. You do above for any continued OFFINABUS from sideline towards players.

The key thing to remember is not to engage with those spectators yourself.
That is most definitely not your job and you’ve no control over parents etc.
Also, remember to put in a report about it afterwards if it’s not dealt with to a way you’re happy with.

You have a certain degree of care for the players especially minors. Here is how I would deal with it.
1. Short pause and get both managers. If you can get a home club/ground official, get them there too. Explain that you want abuse of players from side line stopped by whatever means they see fit. Restart the game straight after.
2. If it continue happening, stop the game. Get the ppl from step one. Tell them you are suspending the game for 5 minutes. They can use that time to do what they can do to stop the abbuse. You will restart after 5 minutes and if it continues you will abandon the game.
3. Restart after 5 minutes and if abuse continues abandon the game (or suspend indefinately).

I must add 'swearing' is a generic term. You do above for any continued OFFINABUS from sideline towards players.

This - speak to the home coach as it's their responsibility at this level. If behavior continues or lack of action from coach, explain that if it doesn't stop you will abandon the match. The worst thing you can do here is not follow through, if the spectator doesn't stop or the coach doesn't take any action you must abandon the match and include this in your match incident after the game.

Context is always key, and for me depends on your own age and confidence, IMO. For youth - and the OP doesn't say whether they are under 18 (e.g. 13/14) or Under 18s (17/18) - I know that technically you're meant to go through the home club manager, but sometimes if the ball goes out of play near the offenders, a short blast on the whistle to hold play up for a moment, and a "Parents - please - mind your language, thank-you" often does the trick. On the odd occasion that it hasn't - then its time to get the manager involved.

I’ve “told off” parents on the side line, but I’m well into my 40’s with over twenty years experience in the classroom so have the experience & confidence to deal with this. Normally a quick sharp rebuke from the man in the middle puts them back in their box. Probably more effective than going through the home manager (but by all means do that if you need to)

If you are confident to handle this yourself fine but I would not recommend it. While it may work most of the time, the consequences of when it backfires are too great to try it. Let's say you say something authoritive but polite to stop them, one of them responds with profanities and the rest start laughing . You have already lost this battle. Yes there are further steps you can take (to win the war) but it's a humiliation you can do without.

Referees lack necessary powers when it comes to dealing properly with spectators.

It is up to you to note it to the home team manager but they are not obliged to do anything. The only protection would be if the abuse became such that the game needed to be stopped or abandoned but, this might agrivate the situation and compromise your own safety at times. If you do need to take this action, you can report it as it impacted the game.

I have heard of silent lines in certain games. Never saw it in action but sounds like a great idea.

We were instructed on our course never to engage with parents.
The home team has the responsibility and if they don’t act they are ‘failing to control spectators’.
If the crowd are giving abuse to children and you find it unacceptable then you really need to tell the home manager and explain that unless it stops, you will abandon the match. If they do nothing, you abandon the match and that will be on the home team to explain.
Clearly if it’s an away supporter it will be worth speaking to both managers but the onus is on the home manager.

Back