A&H

Parent shouts

JudgeDreadful

I reffed an U11 game a couple of weeks ago. During play a player was running down the wing at speed and I'm pretty sure it was a parent not a coach that shouted 'Take him out (player name)...'. Fortunately he didn't and nothing happened.

Should we as refs take any action for shouts like this ?

The Referee Store
I reffed an U11 game a couple of weeks ago. During play a player was running down the wing at speed and I'm pretty sure it was a parent not a coach that shouted 'Take him out (player name)...'. Fortunately he didn't and nothing happened.

Should we as refs take any action for shouts like this ?
I’d flag it with a coach or communicate with players “don’t, wait, easy” are all one word commands that can make even an adult pull their tackle a bit

I’d flag it with a coach or communicate with players “don’t, wait, easy” are all one word commands that can make even an adult pull their tackle a bit

Personally I hesitate from using terms that direct players in that way. I do often use the phrase "keep it tidy" when things start getting a bit scrappy and you can see a foul likely to occur. For me it's a more neutral expectation than "don't".

My exception to this is when a say "don't hold" or "arms down". This is generally used at the point that they are starting to offend and gives them a second or so to correct their behavior before they commit the offence. It either allows the game to progress or makes it an easy sell when I blow the whistle.

Personally I hesitate from using terms that direct players in that way. I do often use the phrase "keep it tidy" when things start getting a bit scrappy and you can see a foul likely to occur. For me it's a more neutral expectation than "don't".

My exception to this is when a say "don't hold" or "arms down". This is generally used at the point that they are starting to offend and gives them a second or so to correct their behavior before they commit the offence. It either allows the game to progress or makes it an easy sell when I blow the whistle.
Fair point, it's a habit I picked up from an RDO in my first CFA, mainly used when I see a loose ball and two players running at it and about to snap each other in two

Agree, I hate it when I hear referees say things like don't dive in, that's going too far as diving in isn't necessary an offence. Wait would fall into the same category, wait for what? I stick things like careful, nothing silly, don't foul him, etc.

In terms of the OP, the best thing to do is speak to the home team, they can then be alert should it happen again. If you knew who it was then they could ask them to behave in the correct way or leave, but never get involved with spectators yourself.

Back