A&H

Parent Courses

The Referee Store
'The three-hour sessions include a quiz on the Laws of the Game designed to show parents ‘they do not know the rules better than the referee’.'

That'll worry one or two refs ;)

anything that tries to improve things has to be a good thing

Sometimes when I hear a parent shouting something wrong in law I am so tempted to get the copy of the LOTG out of my kit bag and give it to them!

These used to be called Match day skills courses and do show up people's gaps in knowledge. The only problem is that it doesn't have enough time to fill them with a lot of important information.

When I did my course (last year) we were told that the FA wanted to introduce them but couldn't justify the costs considering a lot of parents simply wouldn't turn up due to work commitments

Alot of parents wouldn't turn up anyway. With or without work commitments

That's a fair point you make there colt, but without them the respect campaign will never have the full desired effect in my opinion

That's a fair point you make there colt, but without them the respect campaign will never have the full desired effect in my opinion
Completely agree with you. I don't understand why parents can't support their children on something they obviously enjoy. I fully back this course so parents can get some respect. As the article says "show them how the official feels when they scream and shout at him/her"

I think there needs to be more videos like the ray Winston one, if you haven't seen it search on YouTube "FA respect ray Winston"

That's good from you Southend, I'm quite tempted to save that video to my phone and show coaches who might need a quick crash course in respect

No, good bit of burton language... Might need to leave that sentence on the cricket pitch next time

I don't like the idea of their ban being lifted jugs because of them attending a 3 hour course.
It's like the kids who are naughty at school all of the time apart from once when they finally do something good and get rewarded for it whereas the kids who are good all the time get nothing. I think the course should be mandatory arp free a misconduct penalty against them but it shouldn't effect their ban.

Also there needs to be a better incentive for parents who are constantly good.

The only problem I can see with this is that when the parents complete the course including a test on the LOTG, they then may feel an entitlement even more to complain and moan at decisions because theyve completed a test on a small proportion of the rules.

Hopefully that's a glass half empty view of things, Micky :)
As far as I know, we don't have anything like the respect campaign or courses for parents. There seem to be quite a number of differences over the borders. Players and Managers do have to sign a league document saying they'll behave but whether it is actually worth anything I don't know since every game has dissent from everyone.

Back