A&H

Oxford v Fleetwood

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee

Goal at 0.15' how in hell has that not been spotted and no protests either??? Basic stuff really!!!

The Referee Store
Not that easy to spot. Referee is looking the other direction towards where the play is so has no realistic chance of spotting. Active assistant is also looking that way as well as his offside line. Non active assistant could possibly have been looking but he could have been looking at the offside line at that time. Same for 4th man, potentially could have been looking but who knows what he was doing at the time - talking to TAs, sorting board, etc.

Basic lesson from this is don't ball watch. No need to be looking at the player with the ball in this situation, he's not going to be tackled by thin air.

Probably wasn't given due to the lack of appeal.

Bloody good refs on here if this is basic.
Player looks like he's about to shoot in the area and you're looking for a pull miles off the ball?
No idea why any referee would be looking that way

Bloody good refs on here if this is basic.
Player looks like he's about to shoot in the area and you're looking for a pull miles off the ball?
No idea why any referee would be looking that way

I wouldn’t be looking at the player with the ball. Automatic to scan players positions when there’s no prospect of an immediate challenge.
Still may not spot the pull but far better chance than someone who is ball watching.

Where would you be looking?

I wouldn’t be looking at the player with the ball. Automatic to scan players positions when there’s no prospect of an immediate challenge.
Still may not spot the pull but far better chance than someone who is ball watching.

Where would you be looking?

At the ball to see the (much more likely) goal kick/corner kick/goal line decision I may have to make.
I think this would be an insanely good spot by any ref and calling it basic is silly

My very basic eyes didn’t miss it, I’m surprised a team of 4 did! Oh well, play on and goal then! :(

My very basic eyes didn’t miss it, I’m surprised a team of 4 did! Oh well, play on and goal then! :(
Were your basic eyes looking at a part of screen that was 2 inches away from the ball or was it looking at it live at something 20 meters away from the ball :) ?

The only chance the referee would have had to pick this up was if he was very wide to the left which is not the recommended position for this situation. I can't see where he is in the vid.

Not a toughie this at any level... just surprised they all missed it tbf. Accept ref and closest Lino but ..... hey ho, move on....

Do these games have 4th man? If so, for me, he should or could pick this up
Are we in the territory of another current thread, where because there was no appeal, we assume nothing is wrong?
Oh the perils...

Do these games have 4th man? If so, for me, he should or could pick this up
Are we in the territory of another current thread, where because there was no appeal, we assume nothing is wrong?
Oh the perils...
Yes, there is a referee as 4th official. The more likely official to spot this is the non-active AR.

Yes, there is a referee as 4th official. The more likely official to spot this is the non-active AR.

Respectfully I disagree. As above, other ar be looking along line etc, or looking at ball to see when its played
4th be, erm, looking for things outwith the view of the ref.

Look where the referee was. WAYYYYYYYY out of position. He has absolutely no chance of spotting anything in the box from there - and when there's a cross he has almost the same view as his AR. The principles of Ref - ball - AR and Where? Where? Go and ABC all went out the window. He needs to be more to the centre or the far side of the box - if the ref was in position this would have happened right under his nose. Inste

So yeah, I'd call this one basic. Referee made a match-changing error because he was out of position.

All officials watching the ball?
Other ar should have been able to help out

Agreed. One of those rare moments that the far AR can get involved. Or the 4th. Surely one of them should have spotted it (4th may have been busy with his TA duties).

Look where the referee was. WAYYYYYYYY out of position. He has absolutely no chance of spotting anything in the box from there - and when there's a cross he has almost the same view as his AR. The principles of Ref - ball - AR and Where? Where? Go and ABC all went out the window. He needs to be more to the centre or the far side of the box - if the ref was in position this would have happened right under his nose. Inste

So yeah, I'd call this one basic. Referee made a match-changing error because he was out of position.

Agreed. One of those rare moments that the far AR can get involved. Or the 4th. Surely one of them should have spotted it (4th may have been busy with his TA duties).

No idea where you have this from, as at the time of the pull the referee isn't on screen and nor does he appear at any later point.

I do get the argument that the 4th man should see it, but I know from experience he could be doing something else at the time. I missed a blatant headbutt right in front of me, but given I was programming the board for a sub at the time I had not got a scooby what had happened. I just looked up to see a player with blood pouring from his nose and an almighty row breaking out.

No idea where you have this from, as at the time of the pull the referee isn't on screen and nor does he appear at any later point.

I do get the argument that the 4th man should see it, but I know from experience he could be doing something else at the time. I missed a blatant headbutt right in front of me, but given I was programming the board for a sub at the time I had not got a scooby what had happened. I just looked up to see a player with blood pouring from his nose and an almighty row breaking out.

In Scotland, we dont program the board anymore.
The sole focus is assisting the referee with stuff he cant see, the tech areas is a secondary concern, if they causing you that much of a problem that they are affecting your ability to assist the referee (putting you off your game) then they need removed.
Priorities. A sub board. Or the red card punch/head butt that we missed
The sub can wait. We simply have to get the correct calls on the park, esp with four officials. 8 eyes cannot be excused for looking elsewhere in the clip in question.

Back