A&H

Oxford v Fleetwood

In Scotland, we dont program the board anymore.
The sole focus is assisting the referee with stuff he cant see, the tech areas is a secondary concern, if they causing you that much of a problem that they are affecting your ability to assist the referee (putting you off your game) then they need removed.
Priorities. A sub board. Or the red card punch/head butt that we missed
The sub can wait. We simply have to get the correct calls on the park, esp with four officials. 8 eyes cannot be excused for looking elsewhere in the clip in question.

Don't disagree, but there will still be times that the 4th official isn't looking at play. He may be speaking to someone to calm them down, he might be speaking to the floor manager (I speak from experience that this happens a lot in each game), he might be speaking to the stadium safety manager, plus in England even at the top level the 4th man does program the board.

The Referee Store
To be honest, I was watching the chap on the ball in the clip, however did notice the defender drop to the floor in the corner of my eye. Didn't spot why he dropped, but it may well have been a foul. Not sure.
If I had AR's I think I would have spoken to them to see if they noticed an infringement on the defender. Problem with Sunday League AR's is, they often run with whatever suits their team (but that's a topic for another day). I probably would have run with a goal, unless they seemed honest and adamant a foul had taken place.

Saying that, I would like to think I would have been positioned on the left hand side looking diagonally towards the AR, therefore may well have seen the infringement quite clearly as it would have been in my line of vision.

No idea where you have this from, as at the time of the pull the referee isn't on screen and nor does he appear at any later point.

I do get the argument that the 4th man should see it, but I know from experience he could be doing something else at the time. I missed a blatant headbutt right in front of me, but given I was programming the board for a sub at the time I had not got a scooby what had happened. I just looked up to see a player with blood pouring from his nose and an almighty row breaking out.
Ugh, you're right. I might have been getting it mixed up with the play immediately before.

I’d of been gutted if I’d of missed that on my own never mind a team of 4 and even the non-pissedoff defenders! Weird!

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If you were on your own and you missed it and no one complained how do you know you missed a foul?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If you were on your own and you missed it and no one complained how do you know you missed a foul?
It was filmed and highlighted on RF :redcard:

I’d of been gutted if I’d of missed that on my own never mind a team of 4 and even the non-pissedoff defenders! Weird!

I cant agree on that one, esp alone, I would be looking out to the right hand side and only start to look central when i think we are getting the crossball
Team of 3, forgiveable for me, team of 4, no, someone should see it

I cant agree on that one, esp alone, I would be looking out to the right hand side and only start to look central when i think we are getting the crossball
Team of 3, forgiveable for me, team of 4, no, someone should see it

Agree, on my own that would be happening behind my back as my focus would be the player with the ball and I'd have gone a lot closer to that than if I had an assistant over there. With assistants I would have a better chance but I'd still be squeezing play so I'd have to catch it out of the corner of my eye.

I'd have seen it............
One of the advantages of centre circle refereeing.....😇

Minty with 'The all seeing (good) eye'!!..... See, this brilliant refereeing logic is lost on some of these 'athletes' @Mintyref. They'll be dragging us out of retirement soon to show them how its done....!! :angel:

So what do you think are the chances of you (or anyone else) refereeing ALONE in a filmed game with highlights on RF? Right back at you :redcard::)
Like I said earlier, 4 sets of eyes missing this is really disappointing but, unlike you, I moved on!! :angel:

Reactions: one

Another angle, Skip to just after 3.00.....

Thank you. Yep, as I said, that ref was way out of position. He should have been closer to the centre or even to the left - if not looking almost through those 2 players, at least had them in his field of view. NFI why he felt the need to be on the right-hand side with players running into the centre to receive a cross. That positioning is fine without a CAR, but with a NAR, IMO you need to trust the NAR to get what's right in front of him.

I've noticed a LOT of major missed incidents in the Australian A- League because referees, for some reason, are running to the right of the PA when the ball comes in rather than maintain their diagonal variation.

Depends if the tree falling event occurs within your light cone 😎

I've noticed a LOT of major missed incidents in the Australian A- League because referees, for some reason, are running to the right of the PA when the ball comes in rather than maintain their diagonal variation.

Eh, don't come down and watch the grassroots down here. :p

We've had issues raised that new referees are running a straight line, think from one end of the box to the other end on the same side. I got to witness this over the summer; referee had assistants and he stuck to that straight line patrol, which made one of his assistants redundant. I think they've been taking the 'get wider' for offside advice a bit too literally?

Back