A&H

Overturning Decision

Wolfy123

Left winger takes the ball passed the right back whilst going down the wing. Right back attempts to block the run and both players go down as I award the direct free kick.
The winger then in frustration has a pop at his opposite number which when I had a few goes on the whistle defused. However I cautioned the winger for unsporting behaviour and adopting an Aggressive attitude for his lash out.

The question is this- should I have reserved the direct free kick as the yellow yard is the more serious offence despite it happening after the original offense with the ball technically out of play?

Cheers

The Referee Store
Left winger takes the ball passed the right back whilst going down the wing. Right back attempts to block the run and both players go down as I award the direct free kick.
The winger then in frustration has a pop at his opposite number which when I had a few goes on the whistle defused. However I cautioned the winger for unsporting behaviour and adopting an Aggressive attitude for his lash out.

The question is this- should I have reserved the direct free kick as the yellow yard is the more serious offence despite it happening after the original offense with the ball technically out of play?

Cheers

No, if you have decided the winger was fouled, then, he was fouled, and aa such, he, or his team, are entitled to the freekick.

What happens after that is seperate, your restart wont change, even if the winger punches defender, it will still go back to his teams foul, even if you dismiss the winger now.

When the ball is out of play or you have stopped the game, your restart is your original restart.

when you overturn, you are realising your original call.was wrong, and correcting it. in your example, the original fk is correct

Less experienced ref so feel free to correct (anyone), but I think the "punish the greater offence" is when they are simultaneous offences.

The block and the retaliation were sequential and you had stopped play after the initial offence.

Last edited:
Less experienced ref so feel free to correct (anyone), but I think the "punish the greater offence" is when they are simultaneous offences.

The block and the retaliation were sequential and you had stopped play after the first initial offence.
Nailed it.

The block and the retaliation were sequential and you had stopped play after the initial offence.
Also say spot on.

With the addition of even if you had not stopped player after the initial offence (yet), the restart is still for the initial offence.

Although I like the concept in rugby, football doesn't have any similar mechanism to "reverse" a penalty. The reason you stopped play is what defines the manner and direction of the restart, full stop.

Anything that happens between the stoppage and the restart is extra-curricular and while it might result in cards, doesn't change that original decision. Making sure you remember the reason for the stoppage when things flare up and you have a 5-minute gap to sort out the mass con is an difficult habit to pick up.

Back