A&H

Over Rule CAR

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
A game of two halves yesterday, Away side 3-1 up at half time and clearly dominating but Home side grew into second half and got it back to 4-3

The home team were on top and got an equaliser, goal kick from away GK got to half way line and immediately headed back. Home striker runs onto it and heads over GK to equalise.

CAR puts his flag up, in my view it was a very tight offside call so ran over to the CAR and asked "what did you see"

CAR: "when he headed the ball the number 9 was in an offside position"
Me: "Are you sure it was n9?"
CA: "Yes, definately n9"

I awarded the goal as I wasn't convinced the player was offside and the CAR hasn't really cleared it up secondly Number 9 wasn't even on the pitch

there were very few complaints at that point from the away side although there were a few grumblings at full time after the home side had managed to score a late winner to take the match 5-4!!!

Of course, as the referee, I have absolute authority on decisions but my view is if you want to flag for offside then you had better be prepared to explain why its offside, agree/disagree?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Perfectly handled. "What did you see" is the absolute correct question, let them talk you through it.

Over-ruling CARs is something you will probably do in every single match when it involves offside, I had 2 myself this weekend. This is why I always do the lino chat in front of the captains pre-match, where I tell them that I will over-rule if I see fit.

Back