A&H

Over head lines

Ben W

Level 6 Referee
During a game on a 3G pitch, if the ball hits the over head wire what is the official outcome. I'm thinking the new drop ball scenario like when the ball hits the ref ?

The Referee Store
Well, there are two possibilities: (1) outside interference, which would be a DB (but that has nothing at all to do with the new ref DB provision) or (2) play on, the wire is considered the same as a rock on the field. I would expect that any competition that uses such fields would provide the guidelines on how they want the wires handled.

During a game on a 3G pitch, if the ball hits the over head wire what is the official outcome. I'm thinking the new drop ball scenario like when the ball hits the ref ?

I referee on a similar pitch. If the ball clips the wire but keeps going in the same general direction, play on. If it hits the wire and drops dead or goes off wildly, drop ball to team who had possession. I explain this to both coaches before kick off.

There is a $g in my area with one wire across the halfway line. Play on as it is not near either goal and nuetral

I referee on a similar pitch. If the ball clips the wire but keeps going in the same general direction, play on. If it hits the wire and drops dead or goes off wildly, drop ball to team who had possession. I explain this to both coaches before kick off.
I do this, the only thing I'd add is that if it hits the wire direct from a set piece, we'll retake the set piece. Not strictly in the laws, but I think we're already pushing out luck by agreeing to play on the pitch in the first place!

I do this, the only thing I'd add is that if it hits the wire direct from a set piece, we'll retake the set piece. Not strictly in the laws, but I think we're already pushing out luck by agreeing to play on the pitch in the first place!

Yes, I do this as well. A couple of weeks ago a throw in rebounded off the wire. The most sensible thing to do seemed to be retake throw in.

I don't know why you just wouldn't have the wire taken down. They are easy enough to take down and put back up.
Lost count of games where I had tried to do as suggested above and the moans and groans that followed despite everybody agreeing on what should happen.
If it was impossible to take down I would say if from a restart go back to restart. If open play then dropped ball as outside interference. The new dropped ball law makes this an easier sell.

Well, in a lot of places, for lower levels, the choices are to play on fields like that or not play. Back when USSF published Advice to Referees, it had a section on dealing with these types of issues:

1.8 DEALING WITH APPURTENANCES TO THE FIELD AND OUTSIDE AGENTS​
(a) Required appurtenances These are the goals, corner flags, and flagposts required by Law 1. Contact between these appurtenances and the ball or players is a normal part of play and requires no special consideration in determining the restart. In accordance with the Law, the restart is based on which team last played the ball. The referee and any assistant referee on the field are also considered to be part of the field of play.​
(b) Non-regulation appurtenances (see 1.7) These include superfluous items attached to the goal frame (such as the uprights on combination soccer/football goals) and not generally subject to movement. If the ball contacts these items, it is deemed to be automatically out of play and the restart is in accordance with the Law, based on which team last played the ball.​
(c) Pre-existing conditions These are things on or above the field which are not described in Law 1 but are deemed safe and not generally subject to movement. These include trees overhanging the field, wires running above the field, and covers on sprinkling or draining systems. They do not affect one team more adversely than the other and are considered to be a part of the field. If the ball leaves the field after contact with any item considered under the local ground rules of the field to be a pre-existing condition, the restart is in accordance with the Law, based on which team last played the ball. (Check with the competition for any local ground rules.)
Note: The difference between non-regulation appurtenances and pre-existing conditions is that, if the ball makes contact with something like uprights or crossbar superstructure, it is ruled out of play even if the contact results in the ball remaining on the field. Where there is a pre-existing condition (such as an overhanging tree limb), the ball remains in play even if there is contact, as long as the ball itself remains on the field. Referees must be fully aware of and enforce any rules of the competition authority or field owner regarding non-regulation appurtenances.

I added the red, which I think is the most important part of the guidance. As referees, I think the most important part is to recognize the issue before the game and have a resolution of what will happen before the game starts. (Personally, I think having a different rule for a restart and open play is unnecessarily complicating, but to each his own.) The last thing you want is to have the ball hit that tree or wire and have to make an impromptu decision in the heat of the moment that one team or the other is not going to expect/like.

Back