A&H

Outside agent?

Simon Haydon

Level 6 Referee
I should know the answer to this but it escaped me halfway through Saturday's game and I'm still not 100% sure of getting it right.
I thought the ball had gone out for a red throw but players suddenly began shouting and complaining and the CAR was waving his flag in a confused and annoyed way. I stopped play and ran over to the lino, who explained that a spectator had stuck his foot out and prevented the ball going out of play. With a crowd of about 20 (!), I took the risk and told the spectator I wanted him to go and stand 20 yards back from the line for the rest of the game. His wife joined in, telling him off, and he retreated, feeling a little foolish.
But what about the restart? I hurriedly took a punt and opted for a dropped ball a few yards in from the touchline. No-one complained and everyone got on with the game so I guess it was OK, although I remain uncertain about my decision being correct in law.

The Referee Store
Correct decision. :)

The dropped ball should have been taken from where the ball was when you stopped play. (Wherever that was?)

Back