A&H

Outjumping an opponent

Pembroke

And heading the ball but impeding an opponents ability to jump by being above them/over them is this a case of being first and strongest wins the ball or a foul?

The Referee Store
For me it depends - is any force used justifiable and only done with the intention of winning the ball? Was the 'fouled' payer going to win it? If yes to the first and no to the second, play on...

I think a key factor you need to look at is the arms - are they using them to push off the opponent for leverage etc? If they get above a player via a natural jump I don't consider that a foul unless health and safety comes into play - for example, have they jumped over in such a way they're going to land on the opponent? (You might give them a free-kick if their opponent ducks/leans forward to cause them to tumble as well in that scenario, but I don't see that happen much thesedays.)

(You might give them a free-kick if their opponent ducks/leans forward to cause them to tumble as well in that scenario, but I don't see that happen much thesedays.)

Never see it in youth games but I do see it quite a bit in 35+ with wiley experienced players.

Subject to not using opponent as leverage, it's all about timing. You don't get the timing right you'll end up not getting the ball and fouling. Jump too soon you end up falling on top of the opponent and jump too late and you end up pushing them. Gut feel tells you when it's a good challenge.

You might give them a free-kick if their opponent ducks/leans forward to cause them to tumble a
Have to be careful here. Opponent is entitled to duck. Two possibilities here causing the jumper to tumble. The common one is pushing under a jumping player while ducking, that would a fouls for the jumper. The other is the stationary player is stationary and feels that are being used as leverage, ducking or bending causes the jumper tumble or end up in top and they have only themselves to blame.

Have to be careful here. Opponent is entitled to duck. Two possibilities here causing the jumper to tumble. The common one is pushing under a jumping player while ducking, that would a fouls for the jumper. The other is the stationary player is stationary and feels that are being used as leverage, ducking or bending causes the jumper tumble or end up in top and they have only themselves to blame.

Quite, I'm looking out for those that are backing in and then deliberately ducking to try and 'buy' the foul. It used to be fairly commonplace when I first started, but I've seldom seen it thesedays.

Reactions: one
I think a key factor you need to look at is the arms - are they using them to push off the opponent for leverage etc? If they get above a player via a natural jump I don't consider that a foul unless health and safety comes into play - for example, have they jumped over in such a way they're going to land on the opponent? (You might give them a free-kick if their opponent ducks/leans forward to cause them to tumble as well in that scenario, but I don't see that happen much thesedays.)

Not just arms, you also get players who try to be clever by giving themselves a 'leg up' off the other players calf.

Quite, I'm looking out for those that are backing in and then deliberately ducking to try and 'buy' the foul. It used to be fairly commonplace when I first started, but I've seldom seen it thesedays.

I think you just nailed the key question--did the jumper go over the opponent, or did the opponent undercut the jumper?

Back