A&H

Orlando city...again

The Referee Store
An horrendous tackle. Easiest red card you'll ever give.
Commentator made me laugh. Downplayed it at first then after replay unequivocal red card.
Not dealing with that level of dissent is unforgivable for me.

An horrendous tackle. Easiest red card you'll ever give.
Commentator made me laugh. Downplayed it at first then after replay unequivocal red card.
Not dealing with that level of dissent is unforgivable for me.
Rule Number One: Gotta keep as many Superstars on the pitch as possible

Nasty tackle.
Does purple 11 walk for anyone there as well? Very similar to the Vidal contact on Taylor.

Nasty tackle.
Does purple 11 walk for anyone there as well? Very similar to the Vidal contact on Taylor.

Certainly wouldn't object to a red (depending on what was said as well) but Taylor only gave a yellow

The issue with not seeing any discipline for the referee contact/surrounding is that the "Independent" Review Panel that serves as the appeal board for suspensions is horribly biased toward the players and against the referees in MLS. It is, quite honestly, a joke. Referees are at the point in MLS where they've given up a lot of hope that the "I"RP will back them if a case goes in front of them.

I can state with a pretty solid degree of confidence that had referee Alex Chilowicz sent off 2-3 Orlando players for this conduct (as I would have done if conduct like this occurred in one of my amateur matches), the "I"RP would have overturned the suspensions.

As I said in the Inter-Real thread, this type of conduct needs to be a straight red. Full stop. I don't care what you call it, but it needs to be an automatic ejection. We have to get this type of behavior out of the game. It's an embarrassment, and it does nothing to show that referees are an important and respected part of any soccer match. Caution any second player joining in an argument (i.e. surrounding) as dissent. Send off any player making contact with an official in an argument/dispute type of situation. Do it now.

The number 11 was the worst offender at getting in the referee's face after the Nani sending off as well.

Saw this on social media yesterday - one of the worst tackles I've ever seen!
But apparently not a red!! (as far as his team are concerned) Will he also get away with it, because he didn't actually touch the ball so hasn't got the "I got the ball so can do what I want" card to play!

I can state with a pretty solid degree of confidence that had referee Alex Chilowicz sent off 2-3 Orlando players for this conduct (as I would have done if conduct like this occurred in one of my amateur matches), the "I"RP would have overturned the suspensions.
I think this overstates the problems with the IRP. And yes, there are serious problems with the IRP. (And I agree with the need to reduce tolerance for contact with refs during dissent--in games I do, any player or coach that bumps me while dissenting is done.)

For those that don't know, MLS has two separate committees (and no, I can't explain why they are not the same committee). One can impose sanctions for unrecognized misconduct from a game (much less likely with VAR), and a separate committee can revoke suspensions from send-offs. (I'm not sure if the first is also the one that can expand suspensions from red cards--and all send offs in MLS are only a one game suspension unless increased.)

I’d enjoy listening to anyone who thinks that isn’t a red card. Terrible challenge

Wow. Chest bumped by 11. Then pulled back by the arm by Nani. Nothing. Then the waterworks by the offender. Well it got Nani off the hooks a couple of weeks ago so might as well try it.

I really feel sorry for the junior grassroots referees in the US. Grassroots players learn from this.

11 caution at least, depending how you take the bump
Nani should have walked. Captain can't be yanking the referee around like that

I've lost all respect for Nani. Wasn't he part of some incident involving Cunyet Cakir in the Champions League sometime ago that resulted in Cakir not getting able to do matches involving at least Manchester United and perhaps all English teams for a number of years? Admittedly, I didn't follow European soccer as much as I do now, so I may have this all wrong.

Anyone who objects to a red card here shouldn’t be allowed an opinion on the football ever again. A horrible “tackle”. The dissent afterwords has to be taken more seriously than it was, it’s the type of behaviour we don’t need in football anymore.

I've lost all respect for Nani. Wasn't he part of some incident involving Cunyet Cakir in the Champions League sometime ago that resulted in Cakir not getting able to do matches involving at least Manchester United and perhaps all English teams for a number of years? Admittedly, I didn't follow European soccer as much as I do now, so I may have this all wrong.
Not sure about the hiatus of English teams, but yes he infamously sent off Nani. That one was much harsher than this one by a long stretch, albeit probably the correct decision on balance.

Back