A&H

Opposition players bickering - should I intervene?

deusex

RefChat Addict
Something that seems to be hapening more and more this season.
A player will be fouled and the fouler will make some comment like "get up you ******"
The player will respond with "f*** off you *****"
"who you calling a ***** you fat *****"
And it just goes on..... and on..... and on.....

I used to ignore it or give it a quick shout of "settle down gents" and it would eventually peter out, but I'm thinking I should maybe be more proactive.
The teammates take no responsibility for their own players but I dare say even I would struggle to issue 2 cautions every time this happens.
I'm also not a big fan of getting them in my office as this would be happening far too much I reckon and be a thrreat to my perceived authority.
Are there any words I should be issuing automatic cautions for?
How do you deal with adults acting like children?

The Referee Store
Next stoppage - delay restarting the game and get the head coach/manager and the captains of the team in question together on the sideline.

Make it clear to them (not bollocking them - but a nice quiet civil chat) that if they don't get a handle on the conduct and language (especially if it's a public ground with kids and families out minding their own business) of the players then you might be forced to start upping the sanctions that you are to apply - and a letter would be going into the League highlighting the poor behaviour.

Above all - do it in a polite manner - in a way that it comes across as that you will have no recourse to go further (a bit like how Nigel Owens deals with players and the like)

Depends what they say when they are bickering. Sent a lad off a few weeks back for telling a downed opponent (his foul by the way) "get up you fudging f@ggot"

He was quite surprised when the cherry came out.

Depending on what the situation is, and how vocal it is, sometimes I would wait until the next stoppage. Stop play, clearly shout "Number 6 and Number 7 please" and get the captains if necessary. Make it publicly known that such handbags will not be tolerated, and if you need to speak to them again, they will be cautioned.

Clearly enhances your match control and asserts your authority, by managing the situation as necessary. The standard has been set, so hopefully players are sensible and won't follow in their footsteps.

Back