A&H

Opinions Needed

Engin Ataman

Hello everyone. I am new here. I need your opinions about a couple videos.

First
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ouhc2bQ97hRUdpcnRqaFhKYkE/view
Anything wrong with defender's move to block the shot? foul, clean or debatable? (Referee let the game continue)
Second
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ouhc2bQ97hZG1yZ2gwRTFQYVU/view
Foul or clean or debatable? (referee let the game continue)
Third
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ouhc2bQ97hRHdhLWI2a0tpVnM/view
Anything wrong here (referee spotted a foul and yellow card to red jersey)

And finally if you could compare all three within the scope of "dangerous play" rules I would really appreciate it.
Thank you so much :)

The Referee Store
Hi Engin,

These are some fairly debatable decisions, but my opinion:

1) No foul for me. It's a stupid tackle - why on earth would you tackle like that with the foot above the ball? however that was far enough away from the opponent that I don't really think there was any danger. Sliding in and 'past' the player and collecting him with your body can be a foul, but the tackle was made some distance in front of the attacker - look at how long it took for the striker to actually make contact - that only occurred when the striker tried to take a second step. So that for me makes contact incidental, so no foul

2)The back leg (the one tucked up underneath) was always going straight to the opponent. That makes it a foul. It wasn't incidental contact - it was a poorly executed tackle when the trailing leg hooks the foot of the opponent. But given the referee's position he also may not have spotted that and thought it was incidental contact

3) Bit of a dangerous tackle - he has launched himself straight at the ball at the opponent's feet. Again, this is not how you slide tackle. The defender it in the air when he contacts the ball which is right at the opponent's feet (and with studs first, no less) - this makes it quite dangerous. Jumping in means it is the full body weigh + speed coming into the challenge (whereas with a slide tackle, the ground offers some control). The fact that contact on the ball was made at the opponent's feet cements the danger here. YC for me, but had he got the opponent it would be a red.

1- good defending- risky but in my book fair.
2- not much wrong with that. The trailing leg was fixed under him and didn't move towards the opponent.
3- there for the grace. Yellow for Dangerous Play. Red if there is any hint of touching the opponent first.

1. Off the ground but far enough from the opponent to be OK.
2. Just about in control and didn't show studs, got the ball cleanly. OK.
3. Thinking about a straight red. No control at all, left the ground, studs showing. I don't know here this "has to be contact for a red" comes from (maybe the Rojo book of tackling). Risk of injuring the opponent is the main criterion and "I got the ball" hasn't been a defence for SFP for a long time. Might get away with a yellow but some of the mandatory yellows look really soft when you see a tackle like that.

Last edited:
1. Off the ground but far enough from the opponent to be OK.
2. Just about in control and didn't show studs, got the ball cleanly. OK.
3. Thinking about a straight red. No control at all, left the ground, studs showing. I don't know here this "has to be contact for a red" comes from (maybe the Rojo book of tackling). Risk of injuring the opponent is the main criterion and "I got the ball" hasn't been a defence for SFP for a long time. Might get away with a yellow but some of the mandatory yellows look really soft when you see a tackle like that.
just watched Southampton-Tottenham game there was even a harder version of that third tackle (not much contact though), was not carded at all. If i find a video of it i will post...

Back