A&H

Only a yellow ?

The Referee Store
Was the force used excessive?
Given it caused the player to do a full somersault then I'm going to say it probably wa and personally think that should have been a red card.

He has hit him with a lot of force there so I can certainly see the argument for SFP. Not great video quality to say for sure though.

As James says,
He kicks his shins that hard causing him to flip. Definitely a red for me

Never a red. Probably a red for the Barnsley lad and an automatic 4-0 win for the opponents, plus three points.

7A025D47-4C98-49FC-8B11-FDE1FE542AB0.jpeg
Still image of the challenge.

Later on in the game the referee doesn’t do himself any favours. Correctly sends a Wigan player off for a SFP challenge but initially tries to play advantage. Possible call over the comms but could’ve been in a lot of difficulty otherwise.

Tough day.Don’t know who it was but hopefully he will learn from the mistakes.

Don't get any reder for me. In fact I don't see any way I can even twist it into a yellow but obviously the referee did.

The still image just shows the first contact. Then he takes his other foot out as well, then he lifts him in the air with his hip. The speed he was going into that tackle straight at the opponent would not have made any difference if he had the got the ball or not.

I understand that we shouldn't be criticising individual referees, but it might help if they stop giving us so much fodder to feed off
Unbelievable Jeff 😵

Don't get any reder for me. In fact I don't see any way I can even twist it into a yellow but obviously the referee did.

The still image just shows the first contact. Then he takes his other foot out as well, then he lifts him in the air with his hip. The speed he was going into that tackle straight at the opponent would not have made any difference if he had the got the ball or not.
It's the somersault that does it for me. The lad is near stood still. It takes some force to make a full grown man do a somersault from almost no momentum whatsoever.

The player was actually treated for a neck injury... says it all

No, it says nothing at all. Serious injuries can happen on totally innocuous plays. (My daughter spent two days in a hospital with a neck injury from trying to stand on a soccer ball. . . .)

The play has to be judged on what happened in the play. (And yes, I think that should have been SFP.)

Was the force used excessive?
Given it caused the player to do a full somersault then I'm going to say it probably wa and personally think that should have been a red card.

I remember this happening to David Beckham, post red card at the world cup? Vs West Ham I think.

And the referee didn't give anything for it, or it was just a foul one of the two. I remember as a fan being livid about that. 🙃

Anyway, rambling fan comments aside, I do think red is the go-to for something that makes you do a flip!

If you’ve made a tackle which has made a man standing still do a front flip, it’s excessive force. Nothing less

If you’ve made a tackle which has made a man standing still do a front flip, it’s excessive force. Nothing less
I think this is a good way of putting it, certainly as a starting point for discussions. Applies in a lot of cases.

With the Fernandes discussion I saw a jumping 2-footed studs to the ankle: start with a red card and mentally see if I can add any mitigation to downgrade it.

Here, I see a player do a full flip as a result of a challenge - hand goes to the red card pocket, is there anything at all that makes me hesitate and reach for a different colour?

In both cases, I'm saying no and sticking with the initial instinct.

Back