A&H

One of those games

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
So - I am actually going to post a positive story! It was one of those games that I genuinely loved refereeing. Two teams of lads just wanting to come out and have a fun game of competative football.

There were some contentious moments - as normal, and will go through these, but felt that it was a good first game of 2022.

30' 50-50 challenge in the air. Attacking player was closer to goal (somehow!) and jumped slightly earlier than the defender. There was some contact, but both players clearly going for the ball. Result of this jostle was a goal to the home team. Blue #26 commits dissent by word and is given a YC SB. This was one of the rare moments that I flashed a card. He was riled up, and it needed a quick action to calm it down. Skipper was quickly on hand to chaperone the player away so he didn't say anything else silly.

Half time - 4-1

57' This was an interesting one. Red attacker about to take a shot from outside the box, but blue defender slickly steals it, however the red attacker continues with the shooting motion making minimal contact with the defending blue player, but only because the defender literally has to jump out of the way. Issue a caution for C1 - explained to the player that it still equates to being a late tackle and had the player not have moved out of the way, it might have been quite a nasty one. It was one of those where I felt a bit mean giving it as it was an accident, however it really did feel like a YC.

88' Easy YC - was surprised that the red attacker moaned about it. Late challenge after blue player clears the ball - slight studs showing - textbook YC.

Final Score: Red Team 6 - 2 Blue Team

Felt that I managed the game pretty well. There were a few HBs that I wasn't able to give as I was blind sided - the joys of not having neutral assistants! But as I mentioned at the start - exactly what I started refereeing for - all in good spirits and smiles throughout the game from all players (well, most!).

The Referee Store
It’s nice when you get one of those games!

My Sunday league game this morning was 90 minutes of trying to stop players fighting. Was mentally draining and made me wonder. Although I was observed and it was highlighted how tough it was so hopefully the mark reflects it. I’d have taken a game like yours all day though!

It’s nice when you get one of those games!

My Sunday league game this morning was 90 minutes of trying to stop players fighting. Was mentally draining and made me wonder. Although I was observed and it was highlighted how tough it was so hopefully the mark reflects it. I’d have taken a game like yours all day though!
Yeah - had plenty of those too!

I kind of prefer games in the middle of the scale.

When it all kicks off, like @Keeday's match then it's draining.

But when nothing happens, it's dull. I had a fixture (observed) and there was only 3 fouls for an entire half. I was basically just there for ball in/out!

I kind of prefer games in the middle of the scale.

When it all kicks off, like @Keeday's match then it's draining.

But when nothing happens, it's dull. I had a fixture (observed) and there was only 3 fouls for an entire half. I was basically just there for ball in/out!
Absolutely agree. I love the banter on a Sunday morning - there’s always a couple of players that you can have a laugh with

Back