A&H

One little mistake and it is all I can think about :)

SM

The avuncular one
This drives me nuts (at the time of writing, this is my confession, after which my sins will be washed away)

Had a good game today. Happy on the pitch, nice and mobile, a commanding presence ( :D ). Managed what I could, gave what I saw, didn't seem to "not see" anything which could have caused reaction from the players, applied common sense when needed - Game finished with no issues, everybody more or less happy. Job done, feet up, cocoa, roaring fire and self congratulate myself for being awesome?

No. Sadly, brothers, I did something sinful. I made an error in law. One error. It didn't change the course of the game in any way. No players or anybody else present knew I was wrong. I doubt any of them will ever know or even care/remember. However, I know.

So here is my sin - At a throw in, an opposing player jumps right in front of the taker and blocks the throw in (he was a tall fella). Easy sell caution. I explained what I had seen and why he was being cautioned as I produced the lemon from my pocket like a mundane, working mens club style conqueror act, no complaints from anyone.

Then I screwed the pooch - I gave a bloody freekick as the restart. As I was giving it I was thinking, this is not right its a retake.

Still we had the freekick, game carried on. Led to nothing special. Just another boring bit of the game nobody really cares about (aside from the guy who got cautioned, I guess he will remember that bit when he gets to fork over the tenner) while waiting for an exciting break or shot or goal or spectacular tackle...

I hate law based mistakes. But hey, my catharsis complete - I feel much better about it now for my confession. Live and learn.

Any of my fellow referees wish to confess to dropping a boner at today's games or was it just me? :D

The Referee Store
I got the most blatant bit of dissent. It was orange - any doubt it's yellow for me.

Other team had possession in promising place so told player I was going to come back to him.

Same player commits a foul to give me break in player to call player in to caution....,then there's some handbags between same player and opposition player.

Call them 2 in. Have a word tell them to put their handbags down. Tell original player to stay in (so that I could caution), have a word explaining its not acceptable etc.

BUT FORGOT TO ACTUALLY CAUTION!

Same player didn't make half time however......apparently I'm a 'f*****g d******d'. Which is definitely not orange and is red.

On a lighter note told my Mrs after the game I'd sent someone off for calling me that.....her reaction? 'You are one though....'

My mistake wasn't today but it's too similar to yours @SM to pass up the opportunity to confess :).

One year into refereeing and I was getting increasingly fed up with restarts getting delayed and time getting wasted. Next match, team are two up with 20 mins to play and have an attacking throw in. Left back is taking ages .. warn him once, warn him twice, then loud blast on whistle .... and give the throw in to opposition rather than simply cautioning :(:oops:. Only person to realise apart from me was one of the coaches .. and because I'd be having a good game otherwise he simply mentioned it quietly over a pint at the end! Still felt like :poop: though ....

Sitting at home afterwards and thinking about what could have gone better is one of the secrets of becoming a better referee.
No-one has ever refereed a game of football and got every decision correct, the positive is when you analyse what you did wrong, you (hopefully) won't do it again.

Last season ..very tight Cup game , home side 1 0 up but under pressure, heading for stoppage time

Keeper has already had a toot on the whistle to speed his goal kick routine up a bit

Next time strolls to get the ball , places the ball , starts moving his shin pads , and laces , sleeves (think Dan Biggar ) not quite that bad

Anyway Hes been warned , bang the whistle run over , flash a yellow card at him ......THEN .........:cry: give an IFK on the edge of GA :cry:

Luckily no harm done , no one questioned it either :)

Confession Over ..

This drives me nuts (at the time of writing, this is my confession, after which my sins will be washed away)

Had a good game today. Happy on the pitch, nice and mobile, a commanding presence ( :D ). Managed what I could, gave what I saw, didn't seem to "not see" anything which could have caused reaction from the players, applied common sense when needed - Game finished with no issues, everybody more or less happy. Job done, feet up, cocoa, roaring fire and self congratulate myself for being awesome?

No. Sadly, brothers, I did something sinful. I made an error in law. One error. It didn't change the course of the game in any way. No players or anybody else present knew I was wrong. I doubt any of them will ever know or even care/remember. However, I know.

So here is my sin - At a throw in, an opposing player jumps right in front of the taker and blocks the throw in (he was a tall fella). Easy sell caution. I explained what I had seen and why he was being cautioned as I produced the lemon from my pocket like a mundane, working mens club style conqueror act, no complaints from anyone.

Then I screwed the pooch - I gave a bloody freekick as the restart. As I was giving it I was thinking, this is not right its a retake.

Still we had the freekick, game carried on. Led to nothing special. Just another boring bit of the game nobody really cares about (aside from the guy who got cautioned, I guess he will remember that bit when he gets to fork over the tenner) while waiting for an exciting break or shot or goal or spectacular tackle...

I hate law based mistakes. But hey, my catharsis complete - I feel much better about it now for my confession. Live and learn.

Any of my fellow referees wish to confess to dropping a boner at today's games or was it just me? :D

Was the offending player closer than two metres, if not no offence. Had the ball crossed the touchline before it hit him, if it had and he was within the two metres then you were correct with the free kick.

Same player didn't make half time however......apparently I'm a 'f*****g d******d'. Which is definitely not orange and is red. On a lighter note told my Mrs after the game I'd sent someone off for calling me that.....her reaction? 'You are one though....'
Is your better half a distant relative of my Mrs? After 16 years together, I have clearly been a negative influence on her as she is now more cynical and sarcastic than I am! :D

Back