A&H

Oh dear

The Referee Store
Clearly a mistake from the AR but equally as much from the referee.

AR clearly wrong to raise the flag, should be more alert but also wait to give thinking time.

Ref should know it was played by defender, should communicate that to the AR and certainly shouldn’t be hitting the whistle before the ball is in the net (or full stop to be frank)

Contrary to the text in the tweet, VAR has no options available to dig their colleagues out of the hole as the whistle in blown before the goal is scored.

Only options are give the wrong IDFK for offside or drop ball to the GK.

Referee error for me also
The flag being raised is a signal from AR to referee that someone is in an offside position and should be penalised
Nine times out of ten, you take the flag
This was number ten
Referee simply needs to be aware of who played it, and be strong enough to allow play to continue

ar error, yes, but, the AR is not forcing the referee to stop the game

i would have restarted with a drop ball, to restart with the clearly incorrect offside just makes it worse. Could have held hands up, went, sorry guys, instead of sticking to the incorrect call.

I think key here is why didnt the referee just wait a second later before he blew the whistle, then he can actually give the goal after a chat.

I think key here is why didnt the referee just wait a second later before he blew the whistle, then he can actually give the goal after a chat.

loss of concentration, awareness and not willing to take control
Easy get out, flags up, need to stop game. Not at all. Ref should always ref as if no ARs, as much as possible. That way, when the flag goes up, you are half expecting it

Referee error for me also
The flag being raised is a signal from AR to referee that someone is in an offside position and should be penalised
Nine times out of ten, you take the flag
This was number ten
Referee simply needs to be aware of who played it, and be strong enough to allow play to continue

ar error, yes, but, the AR is not forcing the referee to stop the game

i would have restarted with a drop ball, to restart with the clearly incorrect offside just makes it worse. Could have held hands up, went, sorry guys, instead of sticking to the incorrect call.

I'd love to be the fly on the wall in the referees change room at full time.

Referee to AR: What were you thinking?
AR to referee: it was your error, I didn't force you to stop the game.

For me, as ASM says, this is equally as bad for both.

Maybe he’d messed up his accca, you never know abroad??
Unusual betting patterns are not 'unusual'... but very rare in national top-flight leagues
Besides, both officials would have to be in on it and I fancy they'd have found something more subtle to fudge with
VAR 'may' have come to the rescue, but I'm not sure it was sufficiently C&O

The referee is much more at fault than the assistant here. Sometimes it can be tricky on the line to see who played the ball, and here at the point of contact his view might well be blocked off by the left back as in this image. The referee has a perfect view of it though so should be on the comms telling him it was played by a defender and the put the flag down. He then compounds the error by blowing as the ball is about to be touched in, meaning that VAR can't do anything regardless of how bad the error was. Even without VAR, the referee should be waiting until the goal is scored as there can be a discussion between himself and AR.

1593359634477.png

The ref has to take the rap here. Unfortunately he gets it wrong on so many levels. Not being in overall control, not processing the back pass, not waving down the flag, not delaying the whistle, not giving a drop ball. It’s an epic clusterf***.

Disclaimer, I’ve done this, twice in the same game, followed a young assistant’s flag and whistled. It was a few years ago, prevented a goal for each team, almost identical. I’ve not done it since. We learn!

I waved down two blinders the other week, both back passes, and I disallowed two great goals today both from balls breaking from tackles - amazingly both times the strikers helped me by telling team mates I got it right!

Also had my first 2019 accidental HB offence tonight because of goalscoring opportunity! Football’s back!

Random guess at whats happened here...And it follows the same mindset, in reverse, of the diabolical non awarding of the Sheff goal the other week...
Ref might well be watching play, he might well be pretty sure the defenders played it, but
The attacker is certainly in an offside position, the AR has buzzed, flagged, and prob shouted " offside" over the comms, so, bit like the Sheff AR in reverse, the ref here has everything bar his own thoughts telling him, offside.
Fearful of a collision between attacker and gk and then an offside restart, he has conformed to instinct, and stopped the game.

am also so so on the need to actually wave the flag down here, the flag in an offside situation provides one purpose....to inform the referee that in the opinion of the AR someone is in an offside position and should be penalised.
In this clip, imo, an extra hand signal from ref was not needed, the referee should have ignored AR and let play continue, by all means when goal scored, go for a chat

also from the clip, the ref is nearly at the AR yet taps ear to indicate to players he is talking to the AR, use some common sense and actually talk to him for real, the stadiums empty, he is only a few yards away and all you need to know is, " are you flagging offside from the through ball"

restarting with the offside is beyond schoolboy material, its what a new grass roots ref would do if they had a brain fart during a game.....it be understandable at park level but unnacceptable from a fifa referee.

Only explanation i can imagine for the IFK is that AR thought it was the attacker who played the ball (hence the flag) and the R simply didn't know (looked away at an odd time?), so had no choice but to stay with the AR's ruling.

I'd sure expect a FIFA ref to catch that, but . . .

Back