A&H

Offsides = pain in *rse

deusex

RefChat Addict
Offside decisons. Easily the weakest part of my game. Cause me way more aggro than anything else.
I think I give the defence the benefit too much.
I used to say I'd rather give a bad offside than a bad goal but if you're a fast striker you must bloody hate me.
What can I do to improve my decisons because sometimes I feel like I'm semi-guessing.
Should I be trying to get wider or trying to get closer to the line of the 2nd last defnder?

The Referee Store
Offside decisons. Easily the weakest part of my game. Cause me way more aggro than anything else.
I think I give the defence the benefit too much.
I used to say I'd rather give a bad offside than a bad goal but if you're a fast striker you must bloody hate me.
What can I do to improve my decisons because sometimes I feel like I'm semi-guessing.
Should I be trying to get wider or trying to get closer to the line of the 2nd last defnder?
Go left, left, left and push up to close to the line of the 2nd rearmost. Also keep checking where the 2nd rearmost is with a quick glance of the head.

CARs don't do offside in Manchester Padfoot.

I'm going to try you tip in my next match Brian, I think I am far too static when the ball is being knocked around midfield.
Having a little rest rather than thinking "where do I need to be?" and getting there

With the fear of opening an old subject...I don't understand this business about not using CAR's for offside.
I referee in Surrey and London where teams need to provide an AR, and by and large they are honest and fair.
You get the odd one, but that's usually down to competence. It's easy to tell as the AR won't have a clue to line up with the 2nd last defender.

I'm going to try you tip in my next match Brian, I think I am far too static when the ball is being knocked around midfield.
Having a little rest rather than thinking "where do I need to be?" and getting there

Why not?

As referee you decide what responsibilities your assistants have, not some faceless entity behind a desk somewhere.

That's the difference between those who are ready to make a decision and those that have to make a snap decision, sometimes without all the necessary information.

Just be aware that if play switches direction quickly, it can be oh so easy to be caught a long way from play. Keep trying different stuff, you'll find a pattern that works for you.

Paul and Padfoot, I agree 100%.
I remember using CARs for offside in Leicestershire and it was a much more credible system, hardly anyone tried to cheat.
Thing is, if I turn up at a match letting the CARs do offside, they've never done it before, the players won't be used to it and they'll be kicking off after every decision. I'd need the whole league to be doing the same thing.

Paul and Padfoot, I agree 100%.
I remember using CARs for offside in Leicestershire and it was a much more credible system, hardly anyone tried to cheat.
Thing is, if I turn up at a match letting the CARs do offside, they've never done it before, the players won't be used to it and they'll be kicking off after every decision. I'd need the whole league to be doing the same thing.

The same applies in North Yorks. CAR don't give offsides. They are usually the manager stands on the half way line and struggles to give ball in/out.
Asking them to do offsides would make no difference to them - they won't be in position, flag when there defenders appeal, no understanding of active /passive, etc and therefore no credibility in them. They will say its your job.

I pulled a muscle during a game about 20 years ago in York. Said to both teams that I would continue if they would give offsides - one side said yes, the other said no, so we all went home. Since we had played over 70 minutes, the winning team said "no" knowing that any match abandoned on these terms and the result would stand. Not cheating, just playing within the rules.

Same in West Riding. CARs look after your flag while you're refereeing, occasionally giving you the direction of a throw-in

Or cover it in dogsh*t :poop: , if you have a bad game (as happened in York a couple of seasons ago).

Don't guess. Drives me nuts as a sweeper to have a static ref in the centre circle guessing offsides. Use a longer, wider diagonal. Choose the moment to get up closer to the defensive line. If you don't have ARs or CARs you have to sacrifice something. Use the diagonal and sacrifice proximity to the touchline (where your AR would be;)). This is easier with good teams with predictable build up play. I do a lot of fairly sensible games with no ARs - I even practice the same thing in 7v7 - and I think it really works for the players and the game. Takes some running though;)

Don't use CAR's in Cheshire either. I agree with OP it is the most difficult call when your on your own, I often find, especially with two teams who are happy to hoof the ball long that if you were in the correct position to call the offside you would actually be in the wrong position to call everything else and get back with play should it be intercepted etc. My last game of last season I was praised by both teams that my offside calls were some of the best they had ever seen, problem is, as daft as it sounds, I have no idea what I did differently that game to any other on my own so can replicate it. So wish that game was recorded!!

The practice in my local leagues is that CARs flag only for in/out of play. Frankly, a fair number of them even struggle to do that. For offside I'd always prefer to make the call myself. I may not always be right but I suspect I'm more often right that a CAR who probably isn't even concentrating on that aspect of the game.

As stated above, some games will be easy, some will be a nightmare. All depends on how both teams set up. Quick, low skill, long balls are particularly difficult as you don't have time to get into a credible position - even more so when there are numerous changes in which team has possession proceeded by the long ball Leaving you forever scrabbling to get to where you want to be. :)

That said, it does make a massive difference if teams are used to having no CARs. They will tend (in my experience) to shy away from playing an offside trap and have a sweeper, whereas teams used to having a "friendly" CAR will be more likely to rely on the offside trap. It's when you take the latter and remove the CAR that problems will very much occur!

Back