A&H

Offside

Rob

Level 9 Referee
There was an offside call in last nights Carling Cup game between Tottenham & Sheff United where a Sheff United player cleared the ball and it rebounded forward off a Tottenham player to another Tottenham player who was stood offside and flagged offside by the Assistant Referee , my thinking was that offside is when the ball is deliberately played forward by an attacking player and not offside when it is unintentionally diverted forward by an attacking player , help !!

The Referee Store
Not offside by the sound to it. As it is a rebound, the last controlled play was from the defender, thus the attacker is not offside.

If the defender had kicked it out, and the Spurs player headed it to his teammate, he would be offside.

My initial reaction was not offside for the reason it wasnt deliberately played forward but the commentator and the summariser didn't make a fuss about it and just agreed it was offside.

I don't think it being deliberate or controlled is a consideration.

Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball played or touched by a team mate.

Last edited:
As SM said, that doesn't come into it

Offside. Correct call. Deliberate or not is not written in law. Merely at the point it touches the player

The ball only has to touch the Tottenham player for the other one to be offside, whether he played it deliberatley or not doesn't come into it when it is about the team giving away the offside offence. Here is a quote from the LOTG to help make my point.

1. A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
    • interfering with play or

• interfering with an opponent or

• gaining an advantage by being in that position

Which is why I find the recent change to the offside law a bit perverse. We now have a (to my mind) weird combination of ...
Ball played by defender, deflects off an attacker and goes to another attacker in offside position = Offside
Ball played by attacker, deflects off a defender and goes to another attacker in offside position = Offside

Strange ... whatever happened to encouraging attacking play and more exciting games :confused:

Which is why I find the recent change to the offside law a bit perverse. We now have a (to my mind) weird combination of ...
Ball played by defender, deflects off an attacker and goes to another attacker in offside position = Offside
Ball played by attacker, deflects off a defender and goes to another attacker in offside position = Offside

Strange ... whatever happened to encouraging attacking play and more exciting games :confused:

Errmm, that's been the case for a long time.

The relevant change in 2013 was to add to the "gaining and advantage" definition the following:
"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball...is not considered to have gained an advantage."
This seems to have created as many problems as it has solved but the general intent was to give more of an edge to attackers and not to reward poor defending.

Fair point, McT, I worded my comment badly. Suppose I was trying to say that I was suprised they didn't take the opportunity when changing it to advantage the attacking side EVEN more ..

Back