A&H

Offside

Ref1

There is no offside if a player receives a ball directly from a goal kick. Does this mean a player from the same team can stand beyond the other teams defence in the other half of the field and recieve the ball from his own keeper direct from that goalkick?

The Referee Store
There is no offside if a player receives a ball directly from a goal kick. Does this mean a player from the same team can stand beyond the other teams defence in the other half of the field and recieve the ball from his own keeper direct from that goalkick?
Yes.
But not to be confused with kicking from the hands.

Yes.
But not to be confused with kicking from the hands.
Thanks. I saw a Ref blow for offside from a goalkick from the floor that went over the opposition defence where his team mate was stood on the edge of the opposing teams penalty area and I wasn't sure

Thanks. I saw a Ref blow for offside from a goalkick from the floor that went over the opposition defence where his team mate was stood on the edge of the opposing teams penalty area and I wasn't sure
Was it from the floor after the ball had gone out of play, or had the goalkeeper put the ball on the floor after catching it, for example?

A little known part of the law.

Once had a captain ask us before the game about it - don't remember his side taking advantage of said knowledge though!

I blew for offside from a goal kick in a contrib game, didn't mean I was right though. In my very, very thin line of defence, my AR flagged and I was chatting to a player trying to stop his moaning rather than actually watching the restart. That didn't make the hole I had to dig myself out of any shallower though, especially as it stopped a very promising attack🤦‍♂️

Excellent point. Always worth double checking when you are AR in the far half all GK restarts.
Yep. And it works the other way around too. I once had a referee wave down my flag for offside after a FK taken by the keeper. At half-time, when I asked why, he condescendingly told me that there was no offside from a GK. He refused to accept that it was a FK - and lost all credibility in my eyes from then on.

On a general point, always a better 'look' with either, players, managers or colleagues, if you have made a clear error to admit it.

Your reaction proves that point!

Back