A&H

Offside

The Referee Store
If it deflects of an opponent yes, team mate no, in that case offside is reset to the deflection

Do you think it’s clear enough in the LOTG.?
Yes. OS is measured when last played or touched by a teammate. Every touch is a new moment.

when I teach new refs, I sometimes suggest they think of it as taking a mental snapshot of where every time the team touches the ball, and that snapshot is who is OSP and not able to participate. When the attacking track touches it again, we toss the old snapshot and use the new one. And if the defensive team plays the ball or play is stopped, we just toss the snapshot and anyone can be involved.

Yes. OS is measured when last played or touched by a teammate. Every touch is a new moment.

when I teach new refs, I sometimes suggest they think of it as taking a mental snapshot of where every time the team touches the ball, and that snapshot is who is OSP and not able to participate. When the attacking track touches it again, we toss the old snapshot and use the new one. And if the defensive team plays the ball or play is stopped, we just toss the snapshot and anyone can be involved.
Or more accurately, we throw the snapshot away if play is stopped but if the defense plays the ball we take a new snapshot but of the other team.

Or more accurately, we throw the snapshot away if play is stopped but if the defense plays the ball we take a new snapshot but of the other team.
Fair point--I'm usually talking in the context of ARs, who only need a snapshot for one team.

As said above, the answer to the OP is very clear.
However if you ask is it clear when do we count a touch of defender as deflection, in opposed to deliberate play play, that is a whole different story.

Really like this, my trainer said similar and it helps track what way a throw in should go in case it goes out unexpectedly (happens a lot in sunday league!)

Will need to bump this thread back up...

This issue has been doing my head in:

Attacking midfielder plays a long ball to the attacking striker (in an offside position). One of the defending players attempts to clear it, but he doesn't head it quite well (he does head it though).

The attacking striker then gets the ball.

Is this considered offside in the new rule?

Players seem to think that because there was a deflection, it's not... But the pass was initially made by the attacking team.

Attacking midfielder plays a long ball to the attacking striker (in an offside position). One of the defending players attempts to clear it, but he doesn't head it quite well (he does head it though).

Players seem to think that because there was a deflection, it's not... But the pass was initially made by the attacking team.
I believe, as per that PSG moment, that it's not Offside unless you judge the offside player has influenced the defender

I had something similar in my game on Saturday, I was AR.

Long ball through on the ground, defender slides to try and intercept, foot touches ball but it goes through to the attacker who had been in an offside position. Attacker not involved with defender.

I kept the flag down and attacker went through and scored, obviously I got all the moaning as the players thought it MUST be offside because of the attackers position, not the fact that there'd been a deliberate play of the ball by their defender, I gave up explaining after a minute and told them the referee would explain to them.

I think they got it in the end.

Essentially a deliberate play resets the offside.

If the defender had his back turned and it hit him and he knew nothing about it, as an example, NO reset, as non deliberate.

Hope that helps.

I believe, as per that PSG moment, that it's not Offside unless you judge the offside player has influenced the defender
The choice of word 'influence' is misleading. As per lotg, it's only offside if attacker has 'impacted' defender's ability to play the ball (or interfered with him)

As you have put it, defender has 'attempted' to play the ball and made contact, this is deliberate play and no offside.

Fundamentally, if the ball makes contact with a defender on it's way to an attacker (in an offside position at the moment the ball was touched / played by a team mate) then there are three possibilities

1) The defender, whether GK or outfield player, was making a save ie playing a ball going towards the goal. This does NOT reset the play so the attacker IS given offside

2) The defender does NOT make a deliberate play at the ball ie it is a deflection / rebound. This also does NOT reset the play so the attacker is given offside

3) The defender DOES make a deliberate play at the ball (even a shockingly miscued one). This resets the play and the attacker is not given offside

There is obviously a grey area between 2 and 3 above where a judgement needs to be made. At the risk of confusing things, many of the factors that help you decide between the two scenarios are similar to those considered for handball offences. For example, the distance the ball has travelled, the speed of the ball etc leading to the ability of the defender to make a conscious choice rather than an instinctive reaction. The situation you describe is not in this grey area, it falls clearly into scenario 3.

Back