A&H

Offside when I cleared it into a opponent?

Utdfanr

I recenty played a under-16 game in Norway and I got The ball right by my own box and I was gonna clear it. I cleared it right into an attacking player and it went straight to a player on The opposition’s team whom scored. I complained to The ref about being offside as it didn’t touch any of my team’s players, and it went straight to The player who is in a clear offside positon, but The ref told me that when I clear in a 90 degree direction it’s not offside. Was this The right call?

The Referee Store
I recenty played a under-16 game in Norway and I got The ball right by my own box and I was gonna clear it. I cleared it right into an attacking player and it went straight to a player on The opposition’s team whom scored. I complained to The ref about being offside as it didn’t touch any of my team’s players, and it went straight to The player who is in a clear offside positon, but The ref told me that when I clear in a 90 degree direction it’s not offside. Was this The right call?
The attacking player whom I cleared it to was on The opposition’s team

Hi Utdfanr,

Sounds like your ref needs to go back to the law book on that one. It doesn't matter what direction you release the ball in . And there's no requirement for the first attacker to have played the ball to the 2nd one. When it touched the first attacker was the 2nd one in an offside position? Did the 2nd one then touch the ball before a defender played it? If so, then offside.

Now, when A1 kicks the ball to A2 and a defender tries to stop it, fails and it is misplayed to an attacker who was in an offside position when A1 kicks it, the defender playing the ball cancels offside (because it's gone to the offside player from the defender, not the attacker). This part of the law can be a little complex and confusing, even for us, but I wonder if your referee has gotten mixed up on that part of the law - defenders resetting offside.

This is not a very clear description.
If the ball rebounded of an opponent (in an offside position or not) to another opponent who was in an offside position at the time of the rebound then its offside.
If the ball rebounded of an opponent (in an offside position or not) and the same opponent went on to score a goal without another opponent involved then its not offside.

This is not a very clear description.
If the ball rebounded of an opponent (in an offside position or not) to another opponent who was in an offside position at the time of the rebound then its offside.
If the ball rebounded of an opponent (in an offside position or not) and the same opponent went on to score a goal without another opponent involved then its not offside.
The first thing you said

Then it was an offside offence. The referee made a mistake, either in law or in not seeing the rebound off the first opponent.

As a player, I would not be happy but accept that referees make mistakes (like players) and move on. Hopefully this referee will look it up in the good book or ask someone so he wont make the same mistake twice (if he had seen the rebound).

There may be something in the incident that we're not aware of (I have seen cases where a player was convinced an opponent was in an offside position when they weren't) but assuming your description is correct and the ball went to an opponent who was in an offside position when the last touch on the ball by a team mate occurred, then your clearance has nothing to do with it. Previous touches by either an opponent or a team mate are not relevant - only the last touch by a team mate before the ball goes to the offside-positioned player, matters. If everything was as you describe, I've no idea why the referee was even considering the direction of your clearance - it has no relevance.

There may be something in the incident that we're not aware of (I have seen cases where a player was convinced an opponent was in an offside position when they weren't) but assuming your description is correct and the ball went to an opponent who was in an offside position when the last touch on the ball by a team mate occurred, then your clearance has nothing to do with it. Previous touches by either an opponent or a team mate are not relevant - only the last touch by a team mate before the ball goes to the offside-positioned player, matters. If everything was as you describe, I've no idea why the referee was even considering the direction of your clearance - it has no relevance.
I recieved a yellow card for complaining about it though, he knew the oppositon’s player was offside but said if I cleared it into the oppositon’s player whom wasn’t passing it volantary to The guy in a offside positon. Ref said it still wasn’t offside.

Referees (and assistant referees) are only human.

It's also possible that the assistant referee flagged and then the referee decided to whistle to go with the flag... probably knowing it was a mistake... and of course does not want to admit that to you. This happens sometimes. It's a difficult one for the referee if the assistant flags and a lot of players stop - even though they should play to the whistle - it's only natural to somehow not want your colleague's error to change the game - as doubly wrong as that is!

Back