A&H

Offside vs onside

R@resh

Level 9 Referee
Screenshot_20210404-054406_YouTube Vanced~2.jpg
I have a question about the legitimacy of the call in this situation.
As shown in the image above, the player marked with the V sign, who is considered onside, is about to receive the ball while the player marked with X is in offside. Then the player marked with V receives the ball and proceedes to score.

My question is, shouldn't the goal be called off giving that the player marked with X is in an offside position? I had seen a similar situation with 2 players who were closed to each other (having a distance of 2 meters between them) in which the play was called off because one of them was offside, although the receiver of the ball wasn't.

I need to remind you that I am not a referee. I created this account with the purpose of finding professional help. I hope my English is comprehensible.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
View attachment 4869
I have a question about the legitimacy of the offside call in this situation.
As shown in the image above, the player marked with the V sign, who is considered onside, is about to receive the ball while the player marked with X is in offside. Then the player marked with V receives the ball and proceedes to score.

My question is, shouldn't the goal be called off giving that the player marked with V is in an offside position? I had seen a similar situation with 2 players who were closed to each other (having a distance of 2 meters between them) in which the play was called off because one of them was offside, although the receiver of the ball wasn't.

I need to remind you that I am not a referee. I created this account with the purpose of finding professional help. I hope my English is comprehensible.
It is not an offence to be in an offside position.
Players are punished for an offside offence when they interfere with play, an opponent or gain an advantage.
However the laws give specific definitions of what constitutes these offences, and usually include. Impacting a nearby opponent from playing the ball or challenging an opponent.
If you go to ifab website and look at laws of game. Law 11 gives more detailed info.
For now though this not an offside offence.

Yeap. What he said.

The law is very clear that just being in offside position does NOT make it an offence. And if there is no offence, goal can't be disallowed.

What you had seen given was either a mistake or the player in offside position impacted in some way defined under the offside law.

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

I've said it before, but I want this emblazoned in every dressing room and TV studio and newspaper office - would make our lives a lot easier!

Back