A&H

Offside rule

farrell

I know it's pretty basic but I usually ref younger games with no offside rule, can you be offside if the ball comes off an opposing defender?

For example in the mexico game, they're saying a cross came off a defender last, therefore the striker can't be offside whereas I though if you're in an offside position, it doesn't matter who it comes off last

The Referee Store
Yes, as long as you were offside when the ball was played by your teammate. However, if the opposing player plays the ball (that is, deliberately) then you cannot be guilty of an offside offense.

So if he was onside when the cross came in but offside when the defender headed it, he can't be offside?

The new rule differentiates between a defender "playing" the ball (deliberate therefore the player would be onside) and a defender "saving" the ball (not deliberate therefore the player is offside if he was offside when the first ball was played by his teammate)

The new rule differentiates between a defender "playing" the ball (deliberate therefore the player would be onside) and a defender "saving" the ball (not deliberate therefore the player is offside if he was offside when the first ball was played by his teammate)

Is that not exactly what I said? :p

No I read the whole thread actually :p
I was adding to what Ryan said but also adding the bit about saving the ball which Ryan didn't mention:)

Well, I didn't mention is explicitly but that does fall under not playing the ball deliberately.

Back