A&H

Offside position

The Referee Store
Since you are only offside when you touch the ball after its passed by your team mate..... I don't get the question!......if the ball is on the line....why would he pass the ball?

@MalB Imagine a winger running down the line with the ball and crosses it in just before it goes out. At the time the ball is crossed it is on the goal line close to the corner flag. At the same time his team-mate striker has over-run his support run and is in front of the ball inside the net. However the striker manages to find his way back while the ball is in flight and heads the ball in. Is that a goal or offside?

That is the essence of the question in OP.

If the striker accidentally overruns over the line, for the purposes of offside, I though he was then on the goal-line, level, therefore on-side?

@MalB - Why would you call that offside with the ball on the goal line?

I'm interested to hear the reasoning...

In my opinion... if a player is inside the goal and then comes back into the fop he has moved himself from the offside position in order to play the ball.

Defenders sometimes jump off the fop or into the goal in order to leave a player offside.... obviously this would be a caution.

Never seen a defender do that - while it is cautionable, they're considered on the goal line.

The Laws aren't specific about whether an attacker is on the goal line or not if they've gone past it, but we've had that discussion on here. I believe logically they should be treated the same as a defender.

In my opinion... if a player is inside the goal and then comes back into the fop he has moved himself from the offside position in order to play the ball.

Even if you don't consider the attacker to be on the goal line the law states:
A player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.
As Duncan Francis has already said, if the ball is on the goal line it is impossible to be closer to the goal line than the ball. No Offside.

Oh, so the player who is offside is IN FRONT OF his teammate who plays the ball back, and then he collects the ball after running past his teammate to get it. - yes??
Had a read through this thread and the comment above !

Why would an attacking player play the ball back from the oppositions goal line for a player to run back onto from an offside position ? :eek:

You lot have gone MAD To be discussing this

Bang it in the net ,thanks very much :D

In an offside position he's marked but space behind him, so he runs backwards into space, would be one example. I've had it happen a few times, though that's not the only scenario.

Attacker miscontrols the ball, it goes backwards, and the offside attacker runs back to retrieve it is another scenario.

Kind of understand Cptn , but in the context of a game of football , how many players will pick that point up ?

None

to call that offside as a split second call is over thinking the LOTG , and making the rest of the game hard for yourself !!

Right or wrong i wouldnt over complicate things .

What are you saying then, that you wouldn't call offside when you know it is because the players wouldn't understand it? Not following.

Im saying captain , if i understand the expination properly ( Not sure i do ?) is the situation your describing will never arise as an attacking player would not pass the ball back if it was on the oppositions goal line ??

Goal , thank you ver much !!

Surely the mistake you are making is that the goal line is the bit between the posts. Don't forget that the goal line extends to the corners. Therefore it is very possible for a player to play the ball back from the goal line rather than just "bang it in the net".

Hmmmm! Visualising the wrong situation here i have in my head "between the posts " as Mick has just pointed out

Ill get my coat .....:oops:

In an offside position he's marked but space behind him, so he runs backwards into space, would be one example. I've had it happen a few times, though that's not the only scenario.

Attacker miscontrols the ball, it goes backwards, and the offside attacker runs back to retrieve it is another scenario.

Had it with a corner kick as assistant. Taker lays the ball off short and team mate plays it back for him to run on to.

Back