A&H

offside or not offside

nathan.ffc

Level 7 Referee
hi so as a level 7 ref i always want to make sure things are right and dont want to second guess ,, so on a counter attack , the attacking player with the ball has beaten the last defender the goalkeeper comes out but the attacking player passes the ball to another attacking player who puts the ball into the net, is there a rule that the player who kicks the ball into the net has to be behind the ball when the ball is passed , i have seen these given and also seen these given as offside and there is always confusion , is there still the saying beaten the offside trap ,, thanks it will be nice to see who thinks what ,

The Referee Store
Hi @nathan.ffc, welcome to the site.

The answer is within Law 11. If the second attacker (the one who scores) is behind the ball when it is played by their teammate, they are not in an offside position.

Great thankyou that helps alot ..I'm referee assistent Monday at Chessington hook FC so although I have done the line before this is by far my biggest game to date . I'm currently a ref in the mid Sussex league .
Thanks for you help . Have a great weekend

Aah, Chessington & Hook. I remember them well, I did a number of games there before moving north.

Relax and enjoy it 🙂

hi so as a level 7 ref i always want to make sure things are right and dont want to second guess ,, so on a counter attack , the attacking player with the ball has beaten the last defender the goalkeeper comes out but the attacking player passes the ball to another attacking player who puts the ball into the net, is there a rule that the player who kicks the ball into the net has to be behind the ball when the ball is passed , i have seen these given and also seen these given as offside and there is always confusion , is there still the saying beaten the offside trap ,, thanks it will be nice to see who thinks what ,
"Closer to the goal line than both the ball and the second to last defender". If they're not, then no offside offence has occurred... 😉

Back