A&H

Offside - Observer

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
had a game today where I was being observed, all was going well however one point he picked up on was me waving down an offside flag from a CAR. Blue centre back played a long ball forward, striker runs in behind and is about 10 yards off the green centre back who heads it directly up into the air. As it comes down, he takes control, and then the striker runs back and nips it away from him. There was probably about 5 seconds between the header and then the control.

I said to the observer that I thought the attacker didn’t impact his ability to play the ball, and he compared it to the Man City v villa incident and said ‘the law has been changed since then to make this offside.’ I’ve looked since and can’t see where this type of scenario would be covered, could anyone advised if I’ve missed it? It’ll be something I’ll be keeping an eye on when the report comes through i

The Referee Store
Sounds like a matter of opinion. I believe the magic word in the guidance is “immediate” challenge. I think “immediate“ is measured from control, rather than from first contact.

I’m guessing that what the observer was focusing on was the nature of the header, and was saying that the header would have been enough of a “play” by the defender to negate OS before the recent interpretation that is a bit more favorable to the defense on what a “play” by the defender is to wipe OS.

As I picture it from what you wrote, the question is whether the OSP player’s challenge was “immediate” upon the defender possessing the ball, in which case it would still be OS.

Sounds like a matter of opinion. I believe the magic word in the guidance is “immediate” challenge. I think “immediate“ is measured from control, rather than from first contact.

I’m guessing that what the observer was focusing on was the nature of the header, and was saying that the header would have been enough of a “play” by the defender to negate OS before the recent interpretation that is a bit more favorable to the defense on what a “play” by the defender is to wipe OS.

As I picture it from what you wrote, the question is whether the OSP player’s challenge was “immediate” upon the defender possessing the ball, in which case it would still be OS.
thank you. At least it’ll be down to opinion rather than incorrect in law, so thats good. I can take that

Back