A&H

Offside interference

LM1996

Feeling dejected and let down after today. Need to get it off my chest so I can focus on tomorrow’s game.

Was on the line today in a game that finished 1-0. The goal was scored from a header following a corner. The ball went in and I flagged to bring the referee over. As the header was made there was an attacking player in an offside position in front of the keeper. I spoke the ref and said that he was in an offside position but couldn’t be sure if he was interfering from my angle. Referee said he was fine so a goal was given and we moved on.

We go in at full time and the referee says to me that he wasn’t actually looking at the incident when it happened and just have the goal. This really annoyed me as I had explained what had happened. Turns out that he sold it to the players saying that I was trying to flag for offside directly from a corner. Not only did this make me look bad and like I didn’t know the laws, he had completely invented a scenario that hadn’t happened. He even said to the players that I was flagging for a player on the near post. Only, there was no player on the near post. Just the attacker stood blocking the keeper.

It just really annoyed me that I’ve been thrown under the bus when all I was trying to do was make sure the goal was legal.

The Referee Store
If thats what happened, sadly you have been hung out to dry indeed.

did you continue the chat afterwards though and go, no thats not what happened?

I would be applauding you for getting ref over, and what you say is prime what I preach ( but nobody listens)
as referee you simply must be aware, and not completely just leave things to an AR
We cant focus 100% all of the time, granted, but we can be as aware as possible.

The ref sounds like he has wiped his hands of doing what he is there to do ( Oliver on Mon night, ok with var, but offside, this is mine) being the polar opposite

Dont dwell on it too much, and dont let it put you off bringing next weeks referee over, there is a good chance next weeks will have awareness to a better standard ( along with hopefully more mature communication skills)

If thats what happened, sadly you have been hung out to dry indeed.

did you continue the chat afterwards though and go, no thats not what happened?

I would be applauding you for getting ref over, and what you say is prime what I preach ( but nobody listens)
as referee you simply must be aware, and not completely just leave things to an AR
We cant focus 100% all of the time, granted, but we can be as aware as possible.

The ref sounds like he has wiped his hands of doing what he is there to do ( Oliver on Mon night, ok with var, but offside, this is mine) being the polar opposite

Dont dwell on it too much, and dont let it put you off bringing next weeks referee over, there is a good chance next weeks will have awareness to a better standard ( along with hopefully more mature communication skills)

Thanks mate! I know I shouldn’t dwell on it but I’ve been made to look like an idiot based on a referee failing to listen and keep his eye on play.

I went through the incident again in the dressing room and told him exactly what had happened. He then told me what he had said to the players and asked me to say that I was flagging this non existent player on the front post so that the story remained consistent. At this point I walked out and left the ground.

Thanks mate! I know I shouldn’t dwell on it but I’ve been made to look like an idiot based on a referee failing to listen and keep his eye on play.

I went through the incident again in the dressing room and told him exactly what had happened. He then told me what he had said to the players and asked me to say that I was flagging this non existent player on the front post so that the story remained consistent. At this point I walked out and left the ground.

The reality is thats all you can do, nothing to be gained by a full on fight, he said his bit, you stood ground saying no, thats not how it was.

ok am digging a bit here but, four weeks time you back due back on with him...

hows the attitude, new day new game, or, nope, you hung me out to dry?

obv you dont fire a revenge shot during the game.....i would never do that...................

Did the keeper appeal? Generally pre-match instructions are that the keeper will let you know if he thinks there is a problem, and if he doesn't assume there isn't.

Obviously whether there was an appeal or not though the referee definiteloy shouldn't be chucking you under the bus like that and needs to back you.

The reality is thats all you can do, nothing to be gained by a full on fight, he said his bit, you stood ground saying no, thats not how it was.

ok am digging a bit here but, four weeks time you back due back on with him...

hows the attitude, new day new game, or, nope, you hung me out to dry?

obv you dont fire a revenge shot during the game.....i would never do that...................
I’d take the attitude of new day new game but I’d still be pissed off with him. Nothing to be gained from starting an argument again…I think anyway!

Did the keeper appeal? Generally pre-match instructions are that the keeper will let you know if he thinks there is a problem, and if he doesn't assume there isn't.

Obviously whether there was an appeal or not though the referee definiteloy shouldn't be chucking you under the bus like that and needs to back you.
Yeah keeper was straight over pleading with me. I told him that I was raising it with the ref and then the ref did what he did…

Keeper didn’t forgive me and didn’t shake my hand; just said I cost his team 3 points

I’d take the attitude of new day new game but I’d still be pissed off with him. Nothing to be gained from starting an argument again…I think anyway!

i mind years back, ar messed up, tv game, opening day of season

the apts came out on the next Tues, same ref and same ar

within five mins, amended ballot, that ar was no longer with that ref!

obv entirely diff set up, and, a lino error but still.

Feeling dejected and let down after today. Need to get it off my chest so I can focus on tomorrow’s game.

Was on the line today in a game that finished 1-0. The goal was scored from a header following a corner. The ball went in and I flagged to bring the referee over. As the header was made there was an attacking player in an offside position in front of the keeper. I spoke the ref and said that he was in an offside position but couldn’t be sure if he was interfering from my angle. Referee said he was fine so a goal was given and we moved on.

We go in at full time and the referee says to me that he wasn’t actually looking at the incident when it happened and just have the goal. This really annoyed me as I had explained what had happened. Turns out that he sold it to the players saying that I was trying to flag for offside directly from a corner. Not only did this make me look bad and like I didn’t know the laws, he had completely invented a scenario that hadn’t happened. He even said to the players that I was flagging for a player on the near post. Only, there was no player on the near post. Just the attacker stood blocking the keeper.

It just really annoyed me that I’ve been thrown under the bus when all I was trying to do was make sure the goal was legal.
I've one experience of my assistant saying stuff to the bench that 'p!ssed me off'. Comments were picked up on Veo recording of the game
I didn't have the energy to go down a misconduct path and decided to let it slide and put it down to expereince
We work with so many other Referees, we're bound to encounter some 'bad apples' from time to time. I'd just forget about it if I were you

Yeah, that happens sometimes.

As you said, 'new day' and so on, but I make a note of these referees for the next time I'm on the line with them (or vice versa), so I know what to expect from them.

You did your job, he didn't do his. Leave with your head held high basically.

Back