A&H

Offside from a throw

Just wondering what the general opinion is on this one...
Red attacking with a throw-in near blue's box. Red has a player on far post and he is in an offside position when the throw is taken. The throw-in ball is headed on by a red player to the far post and the player at the far post scrambles this into the net. Is this offside?

The reason I ask is:
1) if the offside player got the ball directly from the thrower, then no offside and the goal stands and
2) if a blue player deliberately headed the throw-in ball, but his header went to the offside red player, again no offside and goal stands.

The Referee Store
Do you mean the blue player heads it on to the back post?

If a red player heads it on to a player in an offside position, it's got to be offside. If a blue player heads it accidently/deliberately (doesn't matter) it's not offside regardless

As Owen said, being closer to opponents goal line than both the ball and second last defender + the ball is touched or played by a team mate + involved in active play (playing the ball) = offside, interfering with play.

The throw-in ball is headed on by a red player to the far post and the player at the far post scrambles this into the net. Is this offside?
Would depend if Red on back post, is still in an offside position when his teammate heads the ball. It is his position when the ball is headed to him by a team mate that dictates whether he is offside or not.

If the ball comes to him off a blue defender, it would depend on whether it was played there intentionally by blue, or was it deflected?

ExiledScot's description sounds like the player was always in an offside position throughout, so he's 'still offside' at the second phase contact by another team mate.

It's the 'moment' his team mate touches or plays the ball that is key

If it is touched by a defender accidentally or otherwise as it is in flight, that makes no odds, it's still offside, an attacking player cannot be 'played on-side' ,the defender only comes into the reckoning when he is actually in possession of the ball, and 'plays' the ball which goes to an opponent who is in, what we would usually identify as an 'offside position', hence the slight difference in the wording of L11

L11's only 1 page........piece of cake!!

ExiledScot's description sounds like the player was always in an offside position throughout, so he's 'still offside' at the second phase contact by another team mate.

It's the 'moment' his team mate touches or plays the ball that is key

If it is touched by a defender accidentally or otherwise as it is in flight, that makes no odds, it's still offside, an attacking player cannot be 'played on-side' ,the defender only comes into the reckoning when he is actually in possession of the ball, and 'plays' the ball which goes to an opponent who is in, what we would usually identify as an 'offside position', hence the slight difference in the wording of L11

L11's only 1 page........piece of cake!!
I thought the definitions were clearer this year - if deflected off a defender it's not offside, but if played intentionally, or was an intentional save from the defender, then he is offside (gaining an advantage)

The throw in is irrelevant, when the ball is headed forward by the red player if his team mate is in an off side position then he is off side. I don't see the debate

The throw in is irrelevant, when the ball is headed forward by the red player if his team mate is in an off side position then he is off side. I don't see the debate
There's no debate if the RED player headed the ball - if the attacker is in an offside position when he heads the ball he is offside as soon as he challenges for the ball.

The debate was over when a BLUE defender headed the ball - that's when it becomes a deflection or intention to play, or deliberate save etc.

Aye I missed his point 2) I would say no in that case as intentional or not he was not offside from the throw and can not be offside from an oppositions pass therefore not offside

Back