A&H

Ladies OFFINABUS out of the blue

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
I swore never to bring up OFFINABUS after the last thread BUT..

70th minute of a Ladies fixture, 3-0 to home side. Ball in from a corner, bit of a scramble and it hits the bar before crossing the line. Keeper then catches the ball and it pushed into the goal.

I've already awarded the goal as I can see the keeper is already over the line but pandemonium ensues, three players from away side surround me. I tell them to go away, I make eye contact with their captain and ask her to step in before I have to.

I explain my call to the captain, and make public admonishment of her teammates actions. Then as a player from away is walking past she says "they've pushed her into the goal, you pr*ck"

Now I could've gone yellow and sin bin, I was already planning on one for one of the players who got most in my face, because I couldn't let it slide and have it happen again. But I jumped straight to red because there's no way for me it's not OFF or IN.

Anything I could have done differently? Totally quiet game up until then. Only thing I could've done would be to sin bin another player from away team for surrounding me but honestly I thought the Red sent enough of a message.

The Referee Store
Yes you could have left us some doubt 🧐. Well done. I would have done the same with the picture you've pointed in my head. It sounds like you did a pretty a pretty good job in communications but the only thing I think could have possibly prevented it would have been an improvement on that.
My thought was, at the moment you see in my picture, to take a name and flash a sin bin to immediately get players to back off. But I also run the risk of throwing petrol on the fire and I’m keen to try and get used to proper stepped approach and this was the first instance I’d had all game so a proper chat with the captain felt better. Credit to the captain, she kept on her teammates after that

Keeper might already be over the line but is the ball?

It’s a females right to have the final word ;)

Just kidding, personally I think you’ve done the right thing there. And i support that you have decided against an additional sin bin. I think when a goal is a little controversial and a team feels aggrieved you will always get a bit of what I call “innocent dissent”.. I allow this to pass before restarting the game, and if the dissent continues after restart THEN you can go and have a little sit down and rest ya mouth for ten minutes.

Only thing you may have been able to do differently to avoid the red was bang out a yellow caution sin bin a bit quicker whilst speaking to the captain for the offending player. Then that player you gave a red card may have thought twice about speaking as she passed.

Only thing you may have been able to do differently to avoid the red was bang out a yellow caution sin bin a bit quicker whilst speaking to the captain for the offending player. Then that player you gave a red card may have thought twice about speaking as she passed.
I was thinking of the same but this could have easily backfired and ended up with a situation that he'd have less control of the game than he did with the send off. Hindsight is wonderful. Yes a quick dissent yellow would have changed the dynamics but you can't tell which way.

Depends on tone for me this one. From what you've described, red card, I agree, however I wouldn't disagree with a ref who Sin Bins here.

Not only is it the correct decision to send her off, you have to send her off. The only way to stamp out abuse, insults and offensive language aimed at officials is to act according to the laws. Let here off that and what do you get called next? And then there's a ruckus, "She called you that and you didn't send her off...", and so on.

Thought for @OnlyUseMeWhistle - would a "Goal, already in" shout and a run towards the halfway line have reduced the risk of being surrounded and/or abused?
Potentially, I have actually said "goal" but I have stood and observed after because the game before I did turn after a goal and missed some afters. Perhaps instead of a passive worst of both worlds I could have approached the situation after the push to take a bit of control? I never like surrounding myself with players like that.

Blowing the whistle extremely loudly whilst moving towards a flashpoint often calms players down - they're more worried about avoiding the din you're making than whatever silliness they have confected... ;)

Potentially, I have actually said "goal" but I have stood and observed after because the game before I did turn after a goal and missed some afters. Perhaps instead of a passive worst of both worlds I could have approached the situation after the push to take a bit of control? I never like surrounding myself with players like that.
Fair enough - run towards halfway with a trailing eye on the goal area occupants.

Doesn't even need to be a trailing eye, backwards jogging, or walking, moving away. Don't runtoo fas away in case you do actually need to be there or you have to come back to shepherd the celebrating team back to their own half.

Back