A&H

"OFFINABUS" or "delay that taxi" ...?

Pete

Hi all

I spend more time these days coaching an under u16s team than refereeing, so this discussion is based on the way many (not all) teenagers speak ...

So, the scenario is an u16s boys match - stripes against whites.

Stripe's white Caucasian player is cleanly tackled by a black opponent who then distributes the ball to a teammate. As the stripe's player gets to his feet, you as referee quite clearly hear him say to the opponent "Great tackle ni*%#r". Naturally, you're already reaching for your red card.

However ... the black player then pipes in "Don't worry ref, we're friends off the pitch - he always calls me ni*%#r, I don't take offense".

So there's the dilemma - stick with the red or reverse the decision? I would appreciate your reasoning with your answers :)

Thanks in advance
Pete

The Referee Store
99.9% would says that ni*%#r is racist. Therefore, Red Card is your only option.

Don't do it and an official of the league / CFA hears, and you will be having the disciplinary appearance instead.

In a similar vain what would you do if a white player called his white team mate monkey (non PC and very poor choice nickname perhaps).

"Pass the ball to the Monkey"

Red card.

Let the player submit mitigating circumstances at his hearing (explaining his mate doesn't mind), and maybe he'll only get a 5 game ban rather than 10. Either way, he won't do it again, which is the ultimate point.

Is this a genuine or hypothetical scenatio?
Hi OIREF

It is a hypothetical scenario that has a very real chance of coming true.

I have a Caucasian player in my team who has a black friend in another team. We are due to play this other team in a couple of weeks time - and yes, the player in question does - in all walks of life including the classroom and school playground, on the street etc etc - call his friend the N word. And it is reciprocated too - obviously something they have picked up from movies or music etc.

I have tried to educate my player as to the error of his ways. I have told him that in no circumstance must he call his friend the N word - and that if he does so on the football pitch and the referee hears it he will be sent off. He has replied that he isn't going to change his relationship with his friend just for a football match but that he wouldn't get sent off anyway because his friend would stand up for him. Teenage logic eh?!

The purpose of this thread is to gather an overwhelming list of matching views to try and educate my player that his attitude and theories are wrong. Needless to say, I'm delighted from the responses so far to learn that I'm not the only person who would uphold the red card.

Ultimately as a coach I will show him the list of replies - and then operate the 'rotation policy' to ensure he doesn't get a chance to offend anybody.

Thanks
Pete

Definatley a red card, also other players might think they can get away with saying it......

He needs to learn quickly that there is no place in football for friendship :D or more seriously, use of racist language - even if it is "friendly" sort of in nature. Definite red for use of offensive, insulting and/or abusive language.

We are you using the term Caucasian, and not using Negroid? Nothing wrong with saying White and Black!

We are you using the term Caucasian, and not using Negroid? Nothing wrong with saying White and Black!
Ah Bester, the term Caucasian was used purely to avoid confusion because one of the teams is Whites ;-)

Not only black or mixed race people can be offended by racism, and I would be offended by that.

Easy red, easy sell.

I think the player would have to go on some sort of educational course as well. Or at least should be made to!

Back