A&H

Odd Socks

RefJef

RefChat Addict
We've had a few sock related discussions of late, which probably made me spot the following before today's game:

One team wore white shirts with black arms, black shorts and one white sock and one black sock. (The opposition wore green socks). To be fair, it created a co-ordinated "look" and caused me no problems (there was no sock tape, or if there was, they'd used black on the black socks, white on the white.)

Just wondered if its OK? It was a District Schools FA side, so not some dog & duck pup team, i.e. a representative side that "should" be getting it right.

(was a great game, only marred by me "tweaking" a hamstring 15 mins from time, resulting in a less mobile me!)

The Referee Store
The laws simply say that:
The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other and the match officials
So it seems to me that if you could still tell the two teams apart, the requirements of the law have been met. For the socks, the relevant section is:
tape or any material applied or worn externally must be the same colour as that part of the sock it is applied to or covers
Again, what you describe seems to comply with this.

I can tell you that in the league's here in Indiana, USA different colored socks are not required. Shirts yes socks are not something that a game would be abandoned or forfeit over. In high school or college games, the game would be played with same color socks but the offending would be sanctioned by the league as it is specified exactly what socks must be work in the ROC

the game would be played with same color socks but the offending would be sanctioned by the league

I was going to say this - some competition rules might have something to say about this and if so, you should report it to the competition organisers. They might then apply sanctions to the team at a later point but it wouldn't be something that should stop the game going ahead.

Since 2016, the IFAB had placed an emphasis on allowing especially lower level games to go ahead even if there are minor problems. As it says in the 'Practical Guidelines for Match Officials' section:
Referees are expected to use common sense and to apply the ‘spirit of the game’ when applying the Laws of the Game, especially when making decisions relating to whether a match takes place and/or continues.

Back