A&H

Open Age OA Mens Debut

TartanTyke

Grassroots Referee
Had my first OA men's game yesterday and felt like I needed to share my experience.

I'm currently doing my 5 games post course. I've been reffing unofficially at youth level for a while (between u11-u15 mainly) but recently decided to make the step up. As part of my five, I've done a couple of u11s boys, an u18's girls, an OA women's and now this was my first appointment at OA men's. I knew this would be a challenge, but my god, wasn't it just!

The game itself was at step 14 in the NLS so pretty much as far down as you can go. Home side are top of the league, a couple of wins away from sealing the title, away side are in 3rd with a couple of games in hand. Fair to say there was a bit riding on it!

So we get going and immediately I realise how much of as challenge it is going to be. Constant pushes and physicality on headed challenges in particular and persistent calling for fouls. Now where I went wrong was, I tried to let the game flow much like I have in previous matches. In hindsight now, I should have just blown up for everything in the first 10 minutes and let them know I'm watching. As it happens I didn't, then home side go through down the right hand side, makes his way in to the box, defenders hands all over him and he goes down and I blow for the pen. I can honestly say now, it was soft but made worse because I'd not given anything like that previously. They score it, go in 1-0 up at half time, immediately have away coach in my face moaning about it. If I'm honest with myself, I don't blame him.

Second half, I decide to lower my threshold and I'm giving much more both ways and the game seems to go much better than the first half. Away side grab an equaliser which I'm secretly pleased with, as I may get out of the car park afterwards! Then Home side get a corner, I see him place the ball in the quadrant and I start observing what is going on in the box. Corner comes in, bullet header at the back post and it's 2-1. Away side then moan that the wind had blown the ball out of the quadrant as he struck it. I didn't see this and I've already given the goal.

Last 20 minutes obviously tensions rise but nothing spills over too much. I blow for a foul on the home #11 and have a word (which in hindsight again, should just have been a yellow) and he gives me a bit of sarcasm back. I spoke to the home captain and told him he's on a final warning before I reach for cards and that dies down. Away side are constantly complaining of time wasting at the end which I assure them all the time is going back on (played a good 4 and a half minutes over).

Ends 2-1 and away side don't bother with any handshakes apart from the goalkeeper to his credit. Obviously no issues with the home side!

Not the greatest of starts at that level in all honesty but the second half has given me a bit of optimism as I felt I grew in to the game. That first half though did really do some damage that I could have easily avoided.

The Referee Store
Thanks for sharing, by the sounds of it you have already reviewed and learnt where you could’ve improved or been more authoritative and that is the biggest thing because you know for next time

Thanks for sharing, by the sounds of it you have already reviewed and learnt where you could’ve improved or been more authoritative and that is the biggest thing because you know for next time
I have, definitely! Been playing it over in my head since yesterday afternoon. Need to have couple of beers and just get over it!

Difference I find with men's open age and most others is to do with cards, often at youth and women's most don't mean to do a reckless or excessive foul.

The open age men absolutely do and will keep going until you nip it in the bud. Same with pushes in the back and so on.

They just keep trying their luck. But you have the whistle. If someone keeps doing it, use the stepped approach.
Confidence, it sounds like you doubted the penalty and it sounds like they picked up on that. If you blow for it, you give it wholeheartedly, no going back at that point. Look and act confident!

But for a first game you have some positive stuff to learn from.

These games are often really difficult to have a feeling good game in. As if it is tight and the scores are tight, teams will always feel like you have influenced the game in some kind of way.

Doubting ourselves is something any ref has done. The important thing is that you learn and move on. Don’t dwell on one game. We have all had good games and bad games, we just have to accept it. The fact you can acknowledge it is amazing, as most probably wouldn’t.

Sounds great TBF well done!

“Persistent calling for fouls”… welcome to low level dissent in lower league mens football!

2-3-4 players whinging about every decision, they are (subconsciously) trying to undermine your authority. For me, has always been challenging. First thing is recognizing it early. And acting on it early in the game. If it’s singling out a player at a stoppage, you need to show the whole game that you are acting.

(From my cup match on Friday, first thing I would change: when the away captain had a big whinge at the first foul, I gave him a little calm down from a distance.. but I shrank from there for 15 mins. I should have taken the chance to give a much more obvious face to face, would have set me up better for a tricky game).

Thanks for all your feedback, I've definitely found this place really helpful in my first few weeks of reffing. Honestly really appreciate it.

Looking back now, I do feel better about it. As you have said, I just need to own it and not show that I'm doubting myself. I was in danger of crumbling before half time but just had to suck it up and deal with the second half better. There were a couple of things I should have dealt with differently. A handball from the away side, I definitely should have given and the challenge from the home player that I tried to manage with a warning but should have just given the yellow.

The other little tricks were quite strange too. Such as when setting up a free kick, players would walk in front of you and lift their shirt up slightly, look down and grimace. As if to say "that hurt that and you didn't call it". I honestly just thought that was quite funny 🤣.

I just feel now like I need another game to put my experience to good use.

The other little tricks were quite strange too. Such as when setting up a free kick, players would walk in front of you and lift their shirt up slightly, look down and grimace. As if to say "that hurt that and you didn't call it". I honestly just thought that was quite funny
It is beyond funny when players do that. They will do literally anything to undermine your authority but most of the time their efforts are laughable.

Had my first OA men's game yesterday and felt like I needed to share my experience.

I'm currently doing my 5 games post course. I've been reffing unofficially at youth level for a while (between u11-u15 mainly) but recently decided to make the step up. As part of my five, I've done a couple of u11s boys, an u18's girls, an OA women's and now this was my first appointment at OA men's. I knew this would be a challenge, but my god, wasn't it just!

The game itself was at step 14 in the NLS so pretty much as far down as you can go. Home side are top of the league, a couple of wins away from sealing the title, away side are in 3rd with a couple of games in hand. Fair to say there was a bit riding on it!

So we get going and immediately I realise how much of as challenge it is going to be. Constant pushes and physicality on headed challenges in particular and persistent calling for fouls. Now where I went wrong was, I tried to let the game flow much like I have in previous matches. In hindsight now, I should have just blown up for everything in the first 10 minutes and let them know I'm watching. As it happens I didn't, then home side go through down the right hand side, makes his way in to the box, defenders hands all over him and he goes down and I blow for the pen. I can honestly say now, it was soft but made worse because I'd not given anything like that previously. They score it, go in 1-0 up at half time, immediately have away coach in my face moaning about it. If I'm honest with myself, I don't blame him.

Second half, I decide to lower my threshold and I'm giving much more both ways and the game seems to go much better than the first half. Away side grab an equaliser which I'm secretly pleased with, as I may get out of the car park afterwards! Then Home side get a corner, I see him place the ball in the quadrant and I start observing what is going on in the box. Corner comes in, bullet header at the back post and it's 2-1. Away side then moan that the wind had blown the ball out of the quadrant as he struck it. I didn't see this and I've already given the goal.

Last 20 minutes obviously tensions rise but nothing spills over too much. I blow for a foul on the home #11 and have a word (which in hindsight again, should just have been a yellow) and he gives me a bit of sarcasm back. I spoke to the home captain and told him he's on a final warning before I reach for cards and that dies down. Away side are constantly complaining of time wasting at the end which I assure them all the time is going back on (played a good 4 and a half minutes over).

Ends 2-1 and away side don't bother with any handshakes apart from the goalkeeper to his credit. Obviously no issues with the home side!

Not the greatest of starts at that level in all honesty but the second half has given me a bit of optimism as I felt I grew in to the game. That first half though did really do some damage that I could have easily avoided.
Welcome to OA football my friend. :D

I'd be lying if I said you won't often experience days like that moving forward. It is what it is.

Mull it over just after the game, sort out what you (think you) did right and wrong, learn from it and then forget that match. The two teams in question already have ... ;)

Back