A&H

NUFC v Blades

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Looking forward to this one, they were excellent at Bramall Lane..... Hopefully we will have some offside luck this time!!!

The Referee Store
All us first 10 then they’ve been the best team since. Easy walk in the park so far!

2A1CDC34-B6BF-4C4B-BADC-B7EEDA8B3915.jpeg
Andy Carroll going all Red Dead Redemption during lockdown.....

All depends on the starting line-up for NUFC
With Maximan (in particular) and Almiron playing, our stats are very good. Without them and the whole dynamic of the teams falls apart

SUFC can feel aggrieved that Egan's first caution was very harsh

Hopefully not off topic, am not watching
But, i have been critical of Newcastle fans for years

maybe something in the players playing without pressure?

i have long said the false perception that Newcastle are a sporting giant holds them back

The english St Johnston

shouldnt be looking for excuses to change the laws
It was a fan's DOGSO, but not a referee's (not quite for me)
Hopefully not off topic, am not watching
But, i have been critical of Newcastle fans for years

maybe something in the players playing without pressure?

i have long said the false perception that Newcastle are a sporting giant holds them back

The english St Johnston
I know you have a 'thing' for NUFC, but St James hasn't been a difficult place to play (for the home team) for some years. Under Ashley, the fans have been reasonably accepting of the team's limitations
This season, as I say, it all depends on our starting 11 (well, whether a couple of players are in the team). Nothing to do with fans

Last edited:
It was a fan's DOGSO, but not a referee's (not quite for me)

I know you have a 'thing' for NUFC, but St James hasn't been a difficult place to play (for the home team) for some years. Under Ashley, the fans have been reasonably accepting of the team's limitations
This season, as I say, it all depends on our starting 11 (well, whether a couple of players are in the team). Nothing to do with fans

there is a general apathy, Ashley, Bruce, its like the fans have just come to accept whatever happens.
Trust me, Ashley would be a messiah elsewhere, and Bruce is a reasonable standard manager

there is a general apathy, Ashley, Bruce, its like the fans have just come to accept whatever happens.
Trust me, Ashley would be a messiah elsewhere, and Bruce is a reasonable standard manager
Anyone with any intelligence will know that the club is very well run financially. Put it this way, if the Saudi's get in, they can spend what they like because we've a massive gulf before breaching Fair Play Rules (because the Club is historically profitable and we've spent the net total of nowt)

The fans have taken to Bruce and the majority would like to see him stay in the job
He has to be a candidate for manager of the season, because he had no chance coming into the job

shouldnt be looking for excuses to change the laws
Just to take issue....
Are you saying that a candidate DOGSO offence occurs and you have a slight doubt in you're mind. Are you saying that you are free of subconscious bias, such that the defender's previous yellow card is not gonna oil the wheels of your decision making?

Last edited:
Wilder not happy with the first yellow, he thought he could have managed it rather than being so card happy!! Scathing of our performance after the RC, schoolboy defending!!

Wilder not happy with the first yellow, he thought he could have managed it rather than being so card happy!! Scathing of our performance after the RC, schoolboy defending!!
The confrontation was entirely of Lascelles making. Ironic then, that Egan (having been the somewhat innocent party) got his marching orders when the pair got intimate again 😅
Regarding the DOGSO, any fan or player will tell you that an obvious goal scoring opportunity was denied, but referees have their own criteria for such things and I don't think this was quite enough. I think these are the sorts of occasions which cause such discourse between referees and the wider footy community because IFAB's guidance is wrong
Anyway, bad luck Sheff, I'll sleep well tonight :smoke:

I also thought Coote was a bit hasty with the first yellow cards. I think a large number of SG1 referees would have had a word at that point and you perhaps saw Coote's inexperience in going straight for a yellow.

No debate about the second YC of course.

I thought he was spot on with the first two yellows. USB - aggressive attitude - nailed on. Inexperience? I don't think so. When you get to Prem League level you're experienced in football and the LOTG full stop. It's not like he had a 50k crowd to influence him is it?
If there'd been another "incident/flare-up/bad challenge" between those two later in the match we/the pundits would've all been saying he should have dealt with the first instance more firmly .... ;)

We don't know what the players said to one another during the exchange, so we can't deem it wrong that the two players were cautioned (although it did look harsh on the face of it imo)
I'd have given strong consideration to cautioning Lascelles only. I didn't see Egan do anything wrong. I don't buy the notion that both players always need sanctioning in such circumstances

When you get to Prem League level you're experienced in football and the LOTG full stop.
Bit of a bugbear of mine when, early season, commentators and managers would refer to a ref taking charge of his first Prem game like they'd just picked some random herbert who usually runs the line on Hackney Marshes and wondered if he'd like to give it a go.

Reactions: Kes
Back