A&H

now a level 7 ref.. where do i go now? advice please

Trackworker

Level 7 Referee
Hi guys, completed my 6 games and now a level 7 ref :)

2 at U15 and the rest at U12 , struggled badly with the U15's but settled down nicely and thought i did ok. want to go back to higher ages and to be honest adult football..

been asked and nominated to be an assistant linesman for the UCL and which ive accepted and so looking forward to that.. am i asking too much of myself?

i would like to ref saturday adult football in my local p'boro league and give the youths the ditch as i cant be bothered with the parents!! am i rushing?| or should i do some more U15-U18 level first?

dont want to do sunday morning as i'd rather be in bed!!

any tips would be appricated

The Referee Store
Hi,
The UCL?? Last time I looked the UCL was UEFA Champions League lol!!!

Any congrats on now being a L7. I did a few games at U15 and a few at u18. Depends on the leagues but this is where you find your ground work and also get experience and confidence.

I am sure you have RA meetings every month. At ours there are a Saturday and Sunday delegate (both refs) who deal with appointing refs for those games. Have a chart with your RDO and mentor and get their views as well.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

United Counties League (i wish the champions league) had a chat with my rdo, he thinks im ready for the adult game, few assitant referee matches first, plenty of advice from the experienced refs and then a lower league match as ref being watched by a mentor..

United Counties League (i wish the champions league) had a chat with my rdo, he thinks im ready for the adult game, few assitant referee matches first, plenty of advice from the experienced refs and then a lower league match as ref being watched by a mentor..
You beat me too it, would have said the exact same.

Yep, echo your RDO and Ross.. Get some experience working with L4's on the UCL, and ask them questions galore post-game if you can. Every experience helps in this game.
A pre-season friendly would be a good non-competitive way to see how you deal with adult football, but still look at doing Youths if you can.. But obviously if you're moving on to adults soon, then I would say have a go at U15+, probably U16's-18's though. They are much more like adults and those games and how you control them will give you a feel for adult football (as many of those players now play OA football).

Keep positive though with the young'uns.. they think they know everything!

Hi guys, well since I last posted, I've had 3 assistant referee fixtures and my first refereeing fixture in the adult leagues on Saturday, had things have gone so far not bad at all, keep pointing though in the wrong direction though on one or two occasions, always around the 70ish minute, fitness is a issue but hopefully that will come!

One thing to do with that, is give a call of which direction. Eg, if it's a blue throw, shout blue throw and then work out which way blue are attacking! Players also hear you using your voice which is a brilliant aid.

Completely agree with Dan. I used to have an issue in the first few minutes of the second half, especially free kicks where the players involved were standing the same way around as the first half. I overcame this by explaining the foul and saying who'd fouled who, so that the players knew whose FK it was and then I had plenty of time to put my arm up for the direction!

Completely agree with Dan. I used to have an issue in the first few minutes of the second half, especially free kicks where the players involved were standing the same way around as the first half. I overcame this by explaining the foul and saying who'd fouled who, so that the players knew whose FK it was and then I had plenty of time to put my arm up for the direction!

Wouldn't using your arm to signal the direction tell them who fouled whom and who's FK it was to take? I like to minimize the interruption to the flow of the game by getting myself into position ASAP and get the game going. If players are standing around the ball, I give one warning, very vocally, to move away and then out come the cautions.

Done various matches at varying levels, did an academy match at u16's and blimey they gave me the run around! I'm seriously unfit! Grrrr it's gonna take a while till I get fit, it's quite depressing! Am enjoying it now though!

A tip for all newly qualified officials, stick with it!

good to hear, keep up with it.
i find having a dog etc will keep you fit. take mine with me everywhere, instead of taking a car down to the shops walk - with the dog :D

Well, it's January and I've not done too bad at all, have stuck to juniors u12-14 and u16 academy matches as it fits in better with home life at mo, fitness still an issue, but really getting along fine now, looking at next season really to crack into the adult game.

good to hear, keep up the good work!
what league you thinking you thinking of going into open age wise?

Looking to do local Saturday football in Peterborough and run the line in the united counties league, family and fitness permitting

Back