A&H

Notts Forest Vs Burnley

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Burley keeper James Trafford rightly yellow carded after about 10 minutes for delaying taking a free kick near his own penalty area following an aborted stuttering run up. Vincent Kompany protests the decision with the 4th official.

Just 20 minutes in, Burnley seem to be pushing the limits, their luck and the referee's patience with the time they are taking over throws and set pieces.

The Referee Store
Burley keeper James Trafford rightly yellow carded after about 10 minutes for delaying taking a free kick near his own penalty area following an aborted stuttering run up. Vincent Kompany protests the decision with the 4th official.

Just 20 minutes in, Burnley seem to be pushing the limits, their luck and the referee's patience with the time they are taking over throws and set pieces.
The time wasting thing is something referees can’t do right for doing wrong. As soon as Jones gave the yellow, the commentator (think it’s Don Goodman) then says he should have warned him first. Had he warned him and then booked him later, can almost guarantee commentator would have said he wouldn’t have time wasted had he booked him earlier.

Then you can do the route of adding the additional time in, and you get people like the Sheff Utd manager moaning that they can’t slow the game down/time waste any more

Rant over 😬

Last edited by a moderator:
It took him 43 seconds to take it, really cannot have any complaints. With Burnley now 1-0 up he has caused himself a huge problem, sure he would love to take time on restarts in the second half but he won't have the chance to do so.

Yet somehow it is the referee's fault ...? 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

It took him 43 seconds to take it, really cannot have any complaints. With Burnley now 1-0 up he has caused himself a huge problem, sure he would love to take time on restarts in the second half but he won't have the chance to do so.

Yet somehow it is the referee's fault ...? 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Correct!

Pundits, especially at the start of this season, were going on about how the ball is only in play for 50 mins or so. Changes have been made to rectify it and they’re still moaning.

I think they all believe every player is entitled to 1 warning before you can take any action…….

Burnley will be very aggrieved

England has had his jewelers magnifying glass close to hand all night. Commentators arguably . mentioned his name more often that that of Jones.

Last edited:
I would like to see a few different angles of that handball. From what I briefly saw I can’t tell if it hit his arm, sleeve or chest.

One awful intervention and one good'un. A par score

The VC is what VAR is for. Looked like he shrugged the opponent off fron one angle but clear VC from side on

Burnley will be very aggrieved

England has had his jewelers magnifying glass close to hand all night. Commentators arguably . mentioned his name more often that that of Jones.
Its all correct though really. Berge clearly moved his arm towards the ball, and despite the continued t-shirt nonsense spouted by Don Goodman it hit him on the bicep and that is very obviously above the armpit. If he didn't use his arm like that there would be no way he would have got possession.

The red card was about as clear as you are going to get, he has given him an almighty whack with the elbow.

Both would be very difficult to spot real time, so I would argue that VAR has done what it is supposed to tonight. Yes, the VAR was mentioned a lot, but mainly they were quick checks to say no intervention was needed.

Its all correct though really. Berge clearly moved his arm towards the ball, and despite the continued t-shirt nonsense spouted by Don Goodman it hit him on the bicep and that is very obviously above the armpit. If he didn't use his arm like that there would be no way he would have got possession.

The red card was about as clear as you are going to get, he has given him an almighty whack with the elbow.

Both would be very difficult to spot real time, so I would argue that VAR has done what it is supposed to tonight. Yes, the VAR was mentioned a lot, but mainly they were quick checks to say no intervention was needed.
HB don't agree. 'Build up to a goal' is a new 'deliberate' criteria. Rubbish. HB is a complete mess thanks to overseas influence
VC. Yes
Happy with the VC not least cos Burnley lose one of their best players for upcoming St James visit. Near mpossible for on field officials to spot that

HB don't agree. 'Build up to a goal' is a new 'deliberate' criteria. Rubbish. HB is a complete mess thanks to overseas influence
VC. Yes
Happy with the VC not least cos Burnley lode one of their best players for upcoming St James visit
So you don't think he moved his upper arm towards the ball? It is pretty clear to me, his arm moves from the normal running motion to move across his body.

So you don't think he moved his upper arm towards the ball? It is pretty clear to me, his arm moves from the normal running motion to move across his body.
No. The game ain't played in slow motion and miniscule movements are not on my radar

I think the HB was obvious on replay. Carragher needs to have a word with himself.
If you want a video referee to detect fouls that the ref has missed, this is what you get.
Both the HB and VC were VAR actually working.

No. The game ain't played in slow motion and miniscule movements are not on my radar
It certainly wasn't a miniscule movement, it was very obvious. I did the same when playing, you realise you aren't going to get the ball under control so try to bring your arm across to pull the ball back into an area you can control. Berge knew exactly what he was doing there.

The VC is an easy call, particularly once it goes to VAR.

The HB however looks more complicated. On the front angle I can just about make out the ball hitting his upper arm, but from the back it looks more like his shoulder. I’m also not entirely convinced it’s deliberate either, looks more to me like he tried to control it with his chest. Having said that, it’s not necessarily the wrong decision and I can certainly see the argument as to why it was disallowed.

I noticed you posted a freeze frame from the Southampton game earlier today

I think we've lost you to the 'dark side'
I still think it stinks and is terrible for football.
But the HB here was obvious (I even agree totally with Rusty Lee) and the Soton stamp was understandable. The Arse offside was also a great correction for an impossible call for the AR.

But my god it's rubbish. I am going to my dream match, Bton vs Liverpool in a few weeks. For me it's once every 2 or 3 years and it's a lot of dough. If I have a VAR goal involvement of any kind, whatever the outcome, I know it's gonna ruin my weekend.

Back