A&H

Notts County

The Referee Store
i dont like it standing, but if the fk was taken with a stationary ball from the correct position then the ref is entitled to allow the kick to be taken

given the mass of bodies around the ball protesting the position of the FK (I think) there's no way i'd be allowing a quick on in these circumstances however

Not a chance I'm letting a quick one be taken there.
13 seconds between the foul and the 'quick' free kick. You want a quick one then it needs to be exactly that, quick.
Once you've gone past the initial 5-6 seconds then it becomes ceremonial in my view.

Not a chance I'm letting a quick one be taken there.
13 seconds between the foul and the 'quick' free kick. You want a quick one then it needs to be exactly that, quick.
Once you've gone past the initial 5-6 seconds then it becomes ceremonial in my view.

Good point. Taking that long for a "quick" free kick. I didn't like it. I wouldn't allow it. Expectations for players cant be a quick slow free kick. There is a lack of control present .

I don't really have a massive issue with it, but it's not really a quick free kick.

Any hold ups though are caused by the R+W team and it's their lack of awareness that NC are about to take the kick that costs them here.

That said, theres a few things not quite right, as Will says 13 seconds does not feel quick, although much of that is retrieving the ball and placing it.

The referee is in discussion with the players and there's also another player doing his lace, although the referee is fully aware of what happens as he immediately follows the play when the ball is kicked..

I think all of these things combined mean a better decision would be to have a ceremonial..I think each individual on its own is fair game and we play on.

Have to bear in mind the level here, a lot of what the R+W team are doing is to slow the game down, it might be the ref has had enough and decided to let them be punished for messing on. Without context it is hard to say for sure.

given the mass of bodies around the ball protesting the position of the FK (I think) there's no way i'd be allowing a quick on in these circumstances however

I don't really like this because it means if you protest and argue then the free kick can't be taken quickly.

For match control in my game, I am not even letting it get close. Il be telling them on my whistle as soon as I am there.
Given the referees already close proximity this doesn't seem fair as he is already there by this statement that excludes any quick free kick being taken.
Need to be aware that if your presence means no quick kick you keep away to stop you inadvertently preventing what is perfectly permissible in law

Last edited:
Depends what has been said, nothing wrong with taking a quick one.

For match control in my game, I am not even letting it get close. Il be telling them on my whistle as soon as I am there.
Goal should stand, nothing wrong with that but I’m not sure I would have let them take it quickly myself.

I think the comment to which I’ve replied to is good practice, if I feel the need to stop the game I will tell the players it will be on my whistle.

In a dangerous area, I will ask the free kick taker if they desire to take it quickly or if they would rather the opposition move ten yards, I use this method on the advice of an older Level 5, and although technically in law it’s wrong because the opposition need to be ten yards away anyway, it seems to work really well, especially with players that cooperate. One of my 6-5 observers complimented me on it.

Given the referees already close proximity this doesn't seem fair as he is already there by this statement that excludes any quick free kick being taken.
Need to be aware that if your presence means no quick kick you keep away to stop you inadvertently preventing what is perfectly permissible in law
Agree, I think you need to allow a bit more leeway. For me, if I get to the scene of the crime and one of the first things the attacker says is "Can I go ref?", I'll usually (barring cards, injury etc) say yes and start running.

The issue with this one is a) they don't seem to ask/notify the ref as he is reacting to the pass rather than acting before the ball moves and b) attacking team have possession of the ball and are trying to argue the toss about the exact foul position for a few seconds, which isn't in line with a QFK for me. No issue with the fact that R&W team isn't paying attention, but it's just to slow to be a quick FK for me.

Nee chance of that happening in a game of mine
Sod Law... Expectation, expectation, expectation (and fairness, 'may the best team win' and so on [aka SOTG])

Last edited:
The issue with this one is a) they don't seem to ask/notify the ref as he is reacting to the pass rather than acting before the ball moves and b) attacking team have possession of the ball and are trying to argue the toss about the exact foul position for a few seconds, which isn't in line with a QFK for me. No issue with the fact that R&W team isn't paying attention, but it's just to slow to be a quick FK for me.
Nothing in the Laws says or suggests that a team should ask or tell the R that they are taking the kick. A free kick is a a free kick the team can take at any time they want unless the R tells them it is on the whistle. We can’t hear what is being said around the R, which could change my mind, but i don’t think the R did anything wrong here—I don’t see him doing anything that suggests he has made it ceremonial. like @JamesL above, I think we have to be careful about letting defensive protests infringe on the rights of the offended team. I read the attacker bit differently than you do—he’s trying to get the ball down and the opponents are in the way.

Nothing in the Laws says or suggests that a team should ask or tell the R that they are taking the kick. A free kick is a a free kick the team can take at any time they want unless the R tells them it is on the whistle. We can’t hear what is being said around the R, which could change my mind, but i don’t think the R did anything wrong here—I don’t see him doing anything that suggests he has made it ceremonial. like @JamesL above, I think we have to be careful about letting defensive protests infringe on the rights of the offended team. I read the attacker bit differently than you do—he’s trying to get the ball down and the opponents are in the way.
"Nothing in the law" determines a huge number of things we do in the name of sensible and preventative refereeing, I'm getting a little frustrated with that being used as an objection on here when it's obviously an unrealistic standard. And the management of FK's in a particular example of this.

I'll let a team play a quick FK before I get there of course, so I'm never demanding they ask permission. But if they give me time to get there and then want to play, it's reached the grey area where it's sensible to check and sensible for the ref to require that. At that point it may have been implied that it's ceremonial and by letting play go on, the referee has added to the deception, which is unfair.

I also read the ball placing process slightly differently. You have the fouled player stood a yard or two further forward who's claiming this spot for the FK and is clearly alert to the idea of a QFK and is gesturing to his teammate. Then you have the guy actually with the ball, who is initially trying to place it where the scrum of R&W players are. It's only on his teammates urging that he moves forward and actually does place it, at which point play starts - but a not insignificant of time has been wasted with the ball in the attacking team's possession while they tried to place it at a different point.

I don't want to implicitly encourage players to scrum the spot of the foul but also, where it happens organically here, it does effectively prevent that ball being placed. It's a bit of a side note but I also think it's been played from the point where the fouled player landed rather than where he was actually fouled - and the ref has zero chance of effectively managing or judging that, which is a thing in law that causes an issue here.

Offside?

Bad camera angle, but if you freeze frame its unclear whether the defender tying his laces! is playing him onside or not.

Obviously could be another defender out of shot, but not that likely.

I don't want to implicitly encourage players to scrum the spot of the foul but also, where it happens organically here, it does effectively prevent that ball being placed. It's a bit of a side note but I also think it's been played from the point where the fouled player landed rather than where he was actually fouled - and the ref has zero chance of effectively managing or judging that, which is a thing in law that causes an issue here.
I don't get this part. If the R doesn't agree with where the ball is being placed, all he has to do is blow the whistle. And that probably is going to make it ceremonial. And if it is taken before the R can stop them and the R doesn't like where it was taken from, then it wasn't taken and comes back to be taken. As the R didn't stop it or bring it back, that would indicate that the R was satisfied with the spot where it was taken.

Offside?

Bad camera angle, but if you freeze frame its unclear whether the defender tying his laces! is playing him onside or not.

Obviously could be another defender out of shot, but not that likely.

I thought it was likely OS--a reminder to ARs to be aware at all times.

Question...there are a few posts here about it not being "quick" enough; therefore, it should be ceremonial. Why does it have to be "quick"? If I remember correctly, the only time that a free kick has to be quick is if the referee is showing a card.

I wouldn't be letting that happen personally. If they'd taken the free kick immediately that would be fine, but the defending team are going to think, with some justification, that the referee is on the scene and was managing it as a ceremonial free kick.

Absolutely nothing wrong in law with it, but as others have said there's game and expectation management to think about.

Don't foul, there won't be a free kick. If they've not asked for a wall, then no whistle is needed.

Play on; games about goals.

Put it another way; you disallow this goal, you're rewarding the defending team for (attempting, it turned out) delaying the restart of play.

Last edited:
it's the attacking teams choice to take the kick quickly, or ask for a ceremonial (wall). They decide to take it quickly - As per the laws:

"when a free kick is taken, an opponent is closer to the ball than the required distance, the kick is retaken unless the advantage can be applied; but if a player takes a free kick quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue."

Attackers took the chance here; gainted the advantage, and the goal should stand.

it's the attacking teams choice to take the kick quickly, or ask for a ceremonial (wall). They decide to take it quickly - As per the laws:

"when a free kick is taken, an opponent is closer to the ball than the required distance, the kick is retaken unless the advantage can be applied; but if a player takes a free kick quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue."

Attackers took the chance here; gainted the advantage, and the goal should stand.
Ummm nope.

Quick free kick
A free kick taken (with the referee’s permission) very quickly after play
was stopped

Emphasis my own to emphasise all decisions regarding quick restart/on the whistle are solely the referee's.

Back