A&H

Notts C v Coventry

1526683864071.png
This was called OFFSIDE and led to a Notts County goal. (Player closest to penalty spot)
1526683782138.png
This was called ONSIDE and led to a Coventry goal.

The Referee Store
Those stills make the first one even worse than it is. The AR would barely have been able to see the scorer, far less judge him offside.

The second one, total guess by me here but, the AR correctly waited to see what happened, as the ball went between the two blue attackers, its possible the AR lost track in his mind which one of the two were offside. ( a clip of it might explain my point better)

Harsh lesson for us all as referees, we can have a real decent game but some things are out of your control.

Hi
I'm looking to see why the decisions were made. Let's take the second one first. An AR cannot compete with technology. This is just way too tight at normal speed plus the way play unfolds it is not a decision that was unretrievable by better defending. When the ball was moved on there was also a suggestion of a second tight offside. Notts missed at least four challenges to stop this attack and failed miserably with poor defending. I suspect the AR may have thought that looks tight I'll let it slide with defenders getting around the ball and gets stuffed by video replay. No subsequent goal and it's not even a talking point.
On the disallowed goal that is a much more significant decision. I would suspect AR sees closest Notts player on his line in a clear offside position, ball is headed on and out pops another Notts player into view and he guesses by sticking up the flag that it was offside. Was depth perception an issue? Was the offside position player influencing his thinking?
If VAR had been available both decision could have been sorted easily.

Clip 1 is a guess, and a poor one from the AR
Clip 2, I think the AR is well positioned and agree that he prob was unsure and praying that nothing came of it....

2nd one I think is forgivable, particularly if he looks after the ball is played and that defender behind the striker has stepped back. Then it would look onside.

1st one is a poor error to make though, and we'd all hate to be making that error.

Both of these clips the ARs are poorly positioned. And really highlight the importance of correct positioning.
Most certainly both decisions will have looked correct to the officials

In the first instance, the AR is BEHIND play - this would make an offside player look more ONSIDE, not off. This makes the decision even worse, unless he realised he was behind and was trying to compensate?

Second instance he should be spotting that from his position, but what you can't see in the still is that as soon as the ball is played, the attacker takes a step back to get onside, I think he fooled the AR with that.

Back