A&H

Nothing to do

cZulu

Level 7 Referee
You may not believe me but a Women's Open Age match yesterday, there was 1 foul (trip) in the entire match. In the 2nd half especially I only blew my whistle for a few offsides. Other than that nada, nout, nil... Very few challenges and those that did occur were well timed.

I found myself becoming more vocal than usual (e.g. good challenge, hands down, etc.) just so that I could engineer a way to show any form of control.

I suppose my question would be if I were being observed (I wasn't in this case) would this hinder my score, and would there be anything else I could have done?

The Referee Store
I suppose my question would be if I were being observed (I wasn't in this case) would this hinder my score, and would there be anything else I could have done?

In my County FA you'd be extremely unlikely to be observed on a women's match, for exactly the reasons you've given. 😉🙂

You may not believe me but a Women's Open Age match yesterday, there was 1 foul (trip) in the entire match. In the 2nd half especially I only blew my whistle for a few offsides. Other than that nada, nout, nil... Very few challenges and those that did occur were well timed.

I found myself becoming more vocal than usual (e.g. good challenge, hands down, etc.) just so that I could engineer a way to show any form of control.

Sadly Yes.
It shouldn't but it would.
Far more weighting is given to identifying foul challenges than fair.

An interesting question. As an observer (at all levels from 7 to 2A) I am reporting on whether the referee recognised offences and dealt appropriately with them.
I frequently use the rider "Although there were only x penal offences..." followed by something like "you recognised and penalised the great majority of offences" or "you penalised every time an offence occuured"
Based on your post, and assuming there were no offences missed by you, you would be likely to get a "Met the required standard" in those observations where no mark is awarded, and a 7 (a pass mark) in those where there is a mark.
You would also be recognised for your communication skills, both proactive and reactive.
The temperature of the match is always relevant, and as often discussed on this forum anticipating and acting appropriately when tbings heat up is vital.
Hopefully when you do go for promotion there will be more to do!

The big challenge for these matches (whether it is men or women's) is remaining switched on IMO.

It shouldn't affect the grade at 7 to 6 or 6 to 5, but I can see it being problematic at 5 to 4. Although I'd be very surprised if 5 to 4 observations were carried out on grass roots women's matches.

It shouldn't affect the grade at 7 to 6 or 6 to 5, but I can see it being problematic at 5 to 4. Although I'd be very surprised if 5 to 4 observations were carried out on grass roots women's matches.
Very rare for women's matches to be used for men's promotion assessments in England, as the better standard matches are handled by more senior officials, but as we learn on here regularly CFA's vary in their application.

It's far easier to "shine" in front of an observer if there is lots going on, or it's a close competitive game. If you've got 6 cautions, a send off and a penalty, there's more going on and it offers you and the observer more opportunities to mark you into the 'above standard' (or equivalent box depending on the scheme you are on).

In games where there is little going on, or they are one sided, it's clearly harder to do that as there is less substance for an observer to use for their mark. In those types of games it's really important to make sure you do the basics right, as boring as it sounds, giving correct signals nice and sharply, signalling for IFK's, managing the substitution process correctly etc are all ways you can impress on an observer your ability. Those impressions will matter and can be the difference between a good or an average mark!

Back