A&H

Not sure what this ref was thinking...

Eddie

Level 7 Referee
I appreciate pacing out the 10 yards isn’t a precise science, but this guy hasn’t done himself any favours here.

They’re pretty standard strides, not sure how he believes 7 of them would equate to 10 yards? Pretty silly way of losing players confidence in you.

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
A common misconception is that 10 paces = 10 yds.

Admittedly this was a few years ago now, though I don't think I've shrunk too much, but on my refs course we measured out exactly 10yds and then everyone paced it out. I don't think anyone did exactly 10 steps, I think mine was 8 and im just under 6ft, some people needed more paces, some less than me.

However, I wouldn't suggest anyone tries that, as you've quite rightly pointed out players will notice the minute you don't take 10 paces, and its a simple thing which could cause problems, as they will start to doubt your decisions.

I think I know what he was thinking. "I have a spray and I am going to look professional using it. Better stop stepping before I run into that wall". And I am fairly certain he wasn't counting his own steps.

A common misconception is that 10 paces = 10 yds.

Admittedly this was a few years ago now, though I don't think I've shrunk too much, but on my refs course we measured out exactly 10yds and then everyone paced it out. I don't think anyone did exactly 10 steps, I think mine was 8 and im just under 6ft, some people needed more paces, some less than me.

However, I wouldn't suggest anyone tries that, as you've quite rightly pointed out players will notice the minute you don't take 10 paces, and its a simple thing which could cause problems, as they will start to doubt your decisions.

Of course not but it’s not a bad rule of thumb. 10 is about right for me at 5’8.

Equipping the referees with pace-sticks should iron this kind of thing out. 😉

I've always had a 1 metre 'pace' (useful as an Engineer), so they get 9 and if asked I tell them it's in metres.
Perhaps, this is where VAR's expertise will next go to?

I was once given advice to avoid setting up a defensive wall on the line of the penalty area. Make it a couple of feet in, or a couple of feet out.
My guess is he took the latter but it's poorly executed.

He's avoiding the PA (which we might do if there's one pace in it, which is not the case in the OP)

I was once given advice to avoid setting up a defensive wall on the line of the penalty area. Make it a couple of feet in, or a couple of feet out.
My guess is he took the latter but it's poorly executed.

This is what I thought initially, but it looks like 10 paces would have put the wall clearly inside the area, so there wouldn't have been any confusion.

Always surprises me as well how few refs are good at maths when it comes to the penalty area. Have seen many a free kick, say, on the D and ref sprays the wall a couple of yards in front of the penalty spot. Shocking

11 of my steps is 10 yards. As a result I put a slightly longer stride on so that 10 is 10 - I simply don't want the defence to moan if they count me measuring it out. Pre game I use the centre circle to get my stride in to the centre spot.

I havn't stepped the 10 yards for years. Except for the odd occasion when defender's or attackers insist I step it. My estimate of the distance is usually better than my steps.

I havn't stepped the 10 yards for years. Except for the odd occasion when defender's or attackers insist I step it. My estimate of the distance is usually better than my steps.

I like it when the attackers insist the wall is too close then when I step it out they were actually further out so they can come closer!

I like it when the attackers insist the wall is too close then when I step it out they were actually further out so they can come closer!

I’m past caring what the players say for stuff like this. I’ve had situations where I’ve paced the 10 yards, the wall has complained it’s too far and the FK taker has claimed it’s too close 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I tend to do it for the first potentially dangerous attacking free kick for each team, plus sometimes if I want to go "super-ceremonial" and really slow things down. But other than that, yeah, do it by eye or prioritise keeping the game moving over excess pedantry

Back