A&H

Not so violent conduct

SM

The avuncular one
OA game. Rd vs blue. Free kick to red after a Smaller attacker is fouled by a lump of a defender. Before the free kick is taken, the argument continues into the box and the red player pushes the lump in the chest. Barely moves him, but it is a clear two handed attempt to push him. The lump squares up, ****s the punch which he throws, stopping just short of the red players face. Shouts in his face.

The referee on the day did nothing (I was spectating).

What would you do in such a situation?

The Referee Store
A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.
He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match official or any other person.
Violent conduct may occur either on the field of play or outside its boundaries, whether the ball is in play or not.
Advantage should not be applied in situations involving violent conduct unless there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player guilty of violent conduct when the ball is next out of play.
Referees are reminded that violent conduct often leads to mass confrontation, therefore they must try to avert this with active intervention.

Threatening behaviour 100%
In criminal law yes he has committed a public order offence ( FEAR OR PROVOCATION OF VIOLENCE)
On the FOP - no. YC - for aggressive attitude for both.

I see what you have done and it fits the situation.

I was thinking yc for the push, possible VC for the strike/ attempt to strike.

But you can't attempt to strike with excessive force. The force would be the application of violence upon the victim. I.e. there would have to be contact.

So if you saw someone actually take a swing and miss before their team mates broke it up, Where would that sit?

I should add that I am questioning because I don't know the absolute answer to this one, rather than doubting you are correct! :)

Last edited:
Fair point. However my point concerned an attempt strike. Violent conduct specifies the application of excessive force or brutality. This suggests contact need be made. If someone took a swing but missed and was held back I might consider a caution for aggressive attitude.

As far as I'm aware attempted violent conduct is the same as violent conduct and receives a red. Was at a junior game a while back and the keeper threw his water bottle at a spectator who was winding him up after conceding a goal. Assistant referee informed the referee what had happened and although no contact was made with the bottle, red card was shown.

Whether or not he made contact with the player is irrelevant - it's a red card. You may be able to sell a yellow for the pusher too but if it was an aggressive push I'd be showing the red too, especially two-handed.

The "big lump" would definitely be a sending off though. "Striking or attempting to strike an opponent". He pulled his fist back and moved it towards opponents face so whether he stopped or not is irrelevant... red card. Of course you mention in report that he'd didn't strike him but he attempted to.

I agree that it is a red if you feel he has used excessive force.

Here's another example:

Red player and blue player square up and both swing punches almost simultaneously, blue misses but red lands his and knocks blue out. Are you only going to send red off because he made contact (basically punishing him for being a better boxer)??

What would you do?

I agree that it is a red if you feel he has used excessive force.

Here's another example:

Red player and blue player square up and both swing punches almost simultaneously, blue misses but red lands his and knocks blue out. Are you only going to send red off because he made contact (basically punishing him for being a better boxer)??

What would you do?

Red gets binned. Blue gets revived then binned, so gets a fine, ban and a sore head!

Send red off only for being rubbish at punching? :) just kidding

A couple of seasons back I sent off 2 players for throwing punches at each other and wildly missing. It was pathetic, never have I seen such a lame attempt at punching someone. The sending off speech went something like "luckily for you both, neither of you knows how to throw a punch, off you go - violent conduct."

Funnily enough while we're on this topic I'll mention something I saw last season. Pre-season friendly at my local club, I volunteered there for a couple of seasons on matchdays as a steward... Ryman League level so level 3 referees (although I think it was a 4 on this particular day as it was pre-season), captain of my team (red) went up for a challenge with opposing team blue, both went to the ground, play continued, they got up and friendly slapped each other, you know how sometimes you see the very slight slap on the face or something? I don't know how to describe it but they both did it to each other and got back on with the game, next thing we know the ref is running towards them with his hand in his back pocket and has sent both off! Never seen an angrier couple of players before although they stood in the dugouts with us and were laughing to each other about it after a while... speaking of which why the ref didn't order them out of the technical area is beyond me.

Red card all day long, if someone takes a swing it's violent conduct regardless whether they connect or not.

YC for initial push.

Back