A&H

Norwich Tottenham

The Referee Store

Have a look at the penalty as well. Has Kane ever been booked for diving before?
Not sure what you’re getting at but that penalty is clear as day. If he hasn’t been booked for diving before, he certainly shouldn’t be for that.

Though people may not like the VAR decisions for offside calls, the point is that they are now consistent. We didn’t have consistency with AR’s making all the decisions. Genuinely, I’m still on the fence with VAR and I don’t think the technology/people using it are at fault. It’s the guidelines in place which are the issue but again, some people might not like the tight offside calls (reasons unknown to me because if they are correct then great! ) the decisions are consistent. One tight call against you would be identical to the one given for you. Or would fans rather an AR make a decision correct against you, then call your own striker offside when a yard onside and cost you a game?

I hate it
Norwich fans were vociferous with their anti-VAR songs this evening. The Broadcasters are having a hard time silencing it from many games.
Does anyone know how VAR is being received around the world? I'm not referring to countries in which football or soccer is a minority sport, as I can understand why those cultures would be suited to it. The EPL was always likely to be a strong acid test, regardless of implementation
Are the SPL likely to give VAR the elbow for next season?

I'm not sure what the alternatives are though. Offside is a black and white decision, and if the VAR cameras showed that a player was 5mm offside and the goal was given the defending the would then be complaining. At the moment it is at least consistent even if a bit infuriating.

Ultimately it is very much a case of you reap what you sow. Players, managers, pundits, supporters, etc, have bemoaned wrong refereeing decisions for years. Now they are complaining about VAR decisions, but had they accepted the original refereeing decisions we might not be in the situation that we are now. I have zero sympathy.

I'm not sure what the alternatives are though. Offside is a black and white decision, and if the VAR cameras showed that a player was 5mm offside and the goal was given the defending the would then be complaining. At the moment it is at least consistent even if a bit infuriating.

Ultimately it is very much a case of you reap what you sow. Players, managers, pundits, supporters, etc, have bemoaned wrong refereeing decisions for years. Now they are complaining about VAR decisions, but had they accepted the original refereeing decisions we might not be in the situation that we are now. I have zero sympathy.
The issue with offside is not (directly) the small margin, but the fact that whoever is adjusting the lines could make the exact same frame look onside/offside/dead-level. When I saw the Norwich game today, the lines looked indistinguishable and I originally thought I saw the defending line playing Pukki on, then they adjust a tiny amount and he's off. Attempting to be precise to the mm is worthless if the operator can choose a number of different pixels that all constitute the shoulder, for example.

I hate it
Norwich fans were vociferous with their anti-VAR songs this evening. The Broadcasters are having a hard time silencing it from many games.
Does anyone know how VAR is being received around the world? I'm not referring to countries in which football or soccer is a minority sport, as I can understand why those cultures would be suited to it. The EPL was always likely to be a strong acid test, regardless of implementation
Are the SPL likely to give VAR the elbow for next season?
I was at the Brighton match.

The two biggest crowd chants were: “it’s not football anymore” and “f*** VAR”.

Bton won 2-0 but VAR absolutely destroyed the match. It was a joke. A Bton cult hero scored a spectacular goal. After an eternity it was cancelled. We never found out why. There were two pretty clear penalty shouts, one per team, neither seemed to get reviewed.

It’s a joke.

That’s the first time I’ve been at a VAR match and I never want to go through it again. The experience in the stands is just dismal. I was at an amazing event, at a stadium voted one of the best arenas in the world, with 30,000 people, with history 40 years in the making, at a major showpiece... and VAR totally murdered it.

VARse doesn’t come close to describing the horror and embarrassment I feel as an official. Tierney did OK by the way!

This is what the club's wanted.

We've had years of people complaining about refereeing mistakes, people like Sean Dyche whinging because Burnley don't get penalties etc.

The problem is, in my opinion, that for the things like offside there is no facility in the laws of the game to allow for a margin or error.

You are either inside or you're not, VAR now allows them to see things no human would, i.e. someone's big toe being offside, so they have to rule the goal out, to not do so would leave them open to all sorts of accusations, potentially even legal challenges because there would be video evidence of them ignoring the laws of the game.

This is then compounded by the fact the images don't have the resolution/clarity to be 100% on these marginal calls.

The issue with offside is not (directly) the small margin, but the fact that whoever is adjusting the lines could make the exact same frame look onside/offside/dead-level. When I saw the Norwich game today, the lines looked indistinguishable and I originally thought I saw the defending line playing Pukki on, then they adjust a tiny amount and he's off. Attempting to be precise to the mm is worthless if the operator can choose a number of different pixels that all constitute the shoulder, for example.

OS should be changed to feet because of this IMO. When you’re talking mm it’s almost impossible to figure out where a shoulder/armpit begins from a camera 50+ yards away. That’s without taking into account the exact frame the ball was struck.

Are players really gaining an advantage by having their upper body in an offside position? I’d say they don’t.

Not saying it fixes everything but it’ll certainly make it easier.

Pretty much this, and I think this is what the “you’re offside or you’re not” brigade appear to miss.

Cricket can have “umpire’s call” for LBW, so that in tight decisions a not out decision stands even if technology shows the ball was hitting the stumps. Might need to introduce similar with offside.

Also showing that the offside law may need changing. If you look at the Norwich one yesterday, Pukki was actually standing behind the second to last Tottenham player if we go by the feet. I’d like to see a change where it’s the position of the feet that are what counts.

Also a genuine question - how many of the “no sympathy” brigade attend Premier League matches regularly? Just asking as, unsurprisingly, from past posts on here it seems that those who regularly attend Premier League matches are those least in favour of VAR.

Reactions: es1
Most get their football served up on Quest! 🥺..... and they do love to live in the past and pontificate! 🥰

You are either gaining an advantage from being in an offside position or you're not.

The only way you're going to get around this is for there to be two offside laws, one for VAR and one for leagues without VAR.

Of course, for VAR you'd need to take into account the technology used by all the different leagues using VAR, some systems will have better resolution than others, so they would need a smaller margin of error etc.

OS should be changed to feet because of this IMO. When you’re talking mm it’s almost impossible to figure out where a shoulder/armpit begins from a camera 50+ yards away. That’s without taking into account the exact frame the ball was struck.

Are players really gaining an advantage by having their upper body in an offside position? I’d say they don’t.

Not saying it fixes everything but it’ll certainly make it easier.

Yes, players can gain an advantage from having their upper body in an offside position.

But, only if it's a part of the body that can legally play the ball. A goal shouldn't be ruled out if a players arm is offside for example.

Back