A&H

Norwich City v Manchester City

bloovee

RefChat Addict
Not much controversy in this, but nearest Norwich got to a goal would have been ruled offside by VAR. Or would it?

The AR, the normally reliable* Richard West, misses Pukki offside (possibly unsighted) and the play goes on and leads to a header that rebounds from the post, followed up by a Norwich player who may also have been offside (much tighter).

Someone please tell me that if the ball had gone in rather than hit the post, VAR would have disallowed it, and not ruled that the offside came from an earlier phase of play.

From 1.15: https://www.mancity.com/citytv/mens...y-highlights-premier-league-extended-63780293

* No disrespect to other EPL ARs - they really don't get much wrong these days, even on fine calls. My favourite comment is "he's / she's not often wrong, and is right again".

The Referee Store
Pukki looks just offside but it is very tight. There's also a City defender in the 6 yard box, and the position of the top of his arm certainly means the lines would be needed. Very tricky one for Richard West given all of the bodies he was looking through. They go back to the full buildup on VAR though so if Pukki was offside they'd have given it.

1644744352305.png

0001.jpg

That's just before it's headed. Even with the defender's back foot, I'd be surprised if that's not fairly clear looking from level.

Anyway you've answered my question!

What are people‘s thoughts on the City penalty? I think it’s soft, but Hanley doesn’t play the ball and there is contact with Delap. Maybe one of those that will stick with the on field decision as it’s not a C&O error? Clip at 2:38.

What are people‘s thoughts on the City penalty? I think it’s soft, but Hanley doesn’t play the ball and there is contact with Delap. Maybe one of those that will stick with the on field decision as it’s not a C&O error? Clip at 2:38.

I shouted No Chance at the TV, but there's a better view of why it was given at 6.20 on the video: https://www.mancity.com/citytv/mens...y-highlights-premier-league-extended-63780293

Few City fans think we'd have got that at 0-0.

Back