A&H

Non-driving referees

CoachTurnedRef

@WestNorfolkRef
Hey all

Once hindrance I feel I may find as a referee is that I don't drive. I wasn't interested as a teen, couldn't afford it / had no time whilst at uni and now I don't need it for my job so I've never got round to it.

I'm a 27 year old non-driver, do I need to learn if I want to progress or are there opportunities without? Any other 20+ non drivers on here?

The Referee Store
Sadly there are two chances sadly.... Little and no..... Extended progress would 100% be dependant on being mobile and available!!!

I thought as much. I've been meaning to get round to learning to drive and this may be the spur that's needed. In the meantime I'd be very happy to do any game I could get to on the train line.

I don't drive at the moment, okay, yes it is a little embarrassing, but yes I am coping. Luckily, I have 2 amazing appointments officers who stick me with other referees who are relatively local, or in a proximity which I am able to get to. (if at supply level) Or on a Sunday, keeping me to my closest park, which is either a 30 minute walk, or 10 minute bus ride. Hopefully I should have my test booked soon. But there are always ways around it for the time being. You aren't the only one @CoachTurnedRef!

Depends where you live. I know several level 3s in the London area who don't drive, they use public transport to grounds and where this isn't available they arrange for their assistants to pick them up from a local station.

At lower levels it may be harder as there is no one to pick you up, but a good RefsSec will look after you in that respect and keep you at grounds within reach of you.

From what I know there is shortage of referees everywhere. So if you are available and willing, there is games for you. Restrictions like not being able to drive just make it harder for your appointments officer and limits your chances of progress.

I got ahem banned for 2 months and cycled everywhere - and did 4-6 matches per week - but I am in a capital city and half an hour cycle ride away from 12 lower league pitches where I get games based on my postcode;)

(Foolish speeding fines on family trips.)

As some have said the good RefSecs will take care of you...this weekend I was switched off my original assigned match because I drive and someone who doesn't drive was closer to the game I was originally on. It could hurt you accepting last minute assignments and leagues really really value availability/flexibility but it's not the end of the world.

I don't drive at the moment, okay, yes it is a little embarrassing, but yes I am coping. Luckily, I have 2 amazing appointments officers who stick me with other referees who are relatively local, or in a proximity which I am able to get to. (if at supply level) Or on a Sunday, keeping me to my closest park, which is either a 30 minute walk, or 10 minute bus ride. Hopefully I should have my test booked soon. But there are always ways around it for the time being. You aren't the only one @CoachTurnedRef!

good to see I'm not the only one! I'm hoping my appointment officers are accommodating :)

Depends where you live. I know several level 3s in the London area who don't drive, they use public transport to grounds and where this isn't available they arrange for their assistants to pick them up from a local station.

At lower levels it may be harder as there is no one to pick you up, but a good RefsSec will look after you in that respect and keep you at grounds within reach of you.

I live in Downham Market, Norfolk. Not so much in the way of buses, but I can get on the train to King's Lynn or Cambridge and all the stations inbetween and I can get connections to other parts of Norfolk/Cambridgeshire via Ely. I spent part of my afternoon at work looking at where I could get to off my own esteem and it's not limited too much providing I don't mind a bit of walking and waiting for connections.

From what I know there is shortage of referees everywhere. So if you are available and willing, there is games for you. Restrictions like not being able to drive just make it harder for your appointments officer and limits your chances of progress.

I'm hoping for the time being then that I will be able to find games. I'm planning to learn to drive, so hopefully when/if I'm ready to progress up the levels I will be able to drive.

I got ahem banned for 2 months and cycled everywhere - and did 4-6 matches per week - but I am in a capital city and half an hour cycle ride away from 12 lower league pitches where I get games based on my postcode;)

(Foolish speeding fines on family trips.)

Hmm, unfortunately for me cycling won't get me to too many venues unless I'm up for 10m+ journeys....

As some have said the good RefSecs will take care of you...this weekend I was switched off my original assigned match because I drive and someone who doesn't drive was closer to the game I was originally on. It could hurt you accepting last minute assignments and leagues really really value availability/flexibility but it's not the end of the world.

This is promising, hopefully you and others are right about this!
View attachment 1649
Even has facility to carry your kit bag!

You won't see me arriving to ref in that thing ;)

Thanks all for your replies, encouraging for sure! Received my pre-course task today, looking forward to getting stuck into it. By the way, do you think it would be worth e-mailing the RAOs to let them know that I'm becoming a trainee ref and I will be available for games as of 3rd
Feb? Or leave it until I'm all official?

Leave it until your official, just gives them less to worry about until your fully qualified, then by all means, get onto leagues and start showing those red cards!

Leave it until your official, just gives them less to worry about until your fully qualified, then by all means, get onto leagues and start showing those red cards!

Course starts 21st Jan and I will be ready to ref from Saturday 3rd Feb as will have finished the first 4 units on Sunday 28th Jan - I guess that's when I officially become a level 9 trainee ref as Unit 5 is officiating 5 11v11 (or 9v9) games.

On another note, my course has 12 candidates on it which seems like the perfect amount. My tutor is Barry Knight, ex PL ref, unless it's a namesake! Looking forward to it.

Same problems being. coach I'd guess, you're pretty limited to your home village / area to coach and thumbing a lift come away matches!!!

I remember going out with a level 3 who didn't drive a few seasons ago. I think the other assistant met him at a train station then drove 40 miles to the ground!

Same problems being. coach I'd guess, you're pretty limited to your home village / area to coach and thumbing a lift come away matches!!!

Oh yeah, I've been there a lot. Usually I had an assistant coach that drove or I had more control on the training venues so I could ensure we were somewhere I could get to.

If you are a coach, you already have wheels...

My safeguarding, first aid and CRC are all out of date so I'm as much a coach as the dog walkers :D
I remember going out with a level 3 who didn't drive a few seasons ago. I think the other assistant met him at a train station then drove 40 miles to the ground!

It does happen then. I've been reading lots of league handbooks and there's lots of 'joint travelling policies'.

Nevertheless, I am going to learn to drive in the near future, my aim is to be driving before the start of 19/20 season.

My safeguarding, first aid and CRC are all out of date so I'm as much a coach as the dog walkers :D
What's the current ruling on this? As "minors" can play for open age teams, don't we still have to be DBS checked, even if you don't do youth football?

What's the current ruling on this? As "minors" can play for open age teams, don't we still have to be DBS checked, even if you don't do youth football?

The instructions I've been given by Norfolk FA is that you only need CRC if you're officiating youth football, not OA, despite 16/17 year olds being able to play OA football. I'm getting it done anyway, would be silly to rule out the option.

I've got the bug for getting involved in football again and tonight I'm going to meet up about coaching in a local development centre. Coaching AND reffing? Too keen :p

Stopped doing youth football when they asked me to pay for my own DBS check.
Still allowed me to do one a month without one!
All this despite the fact that as a match official, you do not have "significant" contact. As I understand it, if the FA so decided, DBS checks need not be a prerequisite!
Climbs down from soapbox.........

Back