A&H

Non-Challenging Assessments

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
So far I've been assessed 5 times (4 at 7-6 and once at 6-5) and so far, I've had 5 assessed games described as "Normal" i.e. not challenging. And of these, I think only the very first even came close to becoming challenging in terms of match control, and I managed to keep that in check with a few well-placed dissent cautions.

So while I'm obviously not keen to have games become more challenging (I'm not that mad!), I'm a little concerned that I'm potentially only 2 assessments away from becoming a level 5 who has never been assessed in a difficult match. This obviously means I've had no feedback on how well/badly I handle a poor-tempered match - and on the flip side, I understand that it's very difficult to get "Above Standard" in some areas if the match doesn't challenge you?

Should I be concerned about this? And if I should, what can I do to get a tick in that challenging box without causing trouble by being a bad referee?

The Referee Store
Don't worry, you'll soon learn as a level 5 with a challenging game under your belt. Remember, you're not expected to be the finished article.

I understand that it's very difficult to get "Above Standard" in some areas if the match doesn't challenge you?

Should I be concerned about this? And if I should, what can I do to get a tick in that challenging box without causing trouble by being a bad referee?

You can't Graeme. Simple as. As I said to someone yesterday on a different thread - a guy can only referee what's in front of him.

Like you, last season I had 4 assessments from 6-5 and all 4 matches were "normal". I like to think none of them morphed into "challenging" or difficult because of my top-banana match control and presence. ;) :D

Next time, if you really want a "challenging" match, try awarding a couple of dodgy penalties or letting a few reckless challenges go unpunished. The game'll soon spice up. :D Your assessment mark might not be what you'd want though...... ;) :p

You can't Graeme. Simple as. As I said to someone yesterday on a different thread - a guy can only referee what's in front of him.

Like you, last season I had 4 assessments from 6-5 and all 4 matches were "normal". I like to think none of them morphed into "challenging" or difficult because of my top-banana match control and presence. ;) :D

Next time, if you really want a "challenging" match, try awarding a couple of dodgy penalties or letting a few reckless challenges go unpunished. The game'll soon spice up. :D Your assessment mark might not be what you'd want though...... ;) :p
Haha, that's exactly what I thought! I don't know if being incredibly strict with cautions might make it seem like I'd had a tougher match, but that's not my style anyway and is more likely to throw me off my game. It's just a slight concern - I think I handle tougher matches well, but it'd be nice to have that verified by someone else!

Guidance to assessors suggests that potentially only one in ten matches observed will be 'challenging' or more.

Guidance to assessors suggests that potentially only one in ten matches observed will be 'challenging' or more.
That's interesting, I didn't know that.

Is it also fair to say that it's harder to get the higher marks without a challenging match to display exceptional knowledge of the laws and control over?

That's interesting, I didn't know that.

Is it also fair to say that it's harder to get the higher marks without a challenging match to display exceptional knowledge of the laws and control over?

In the same way that you can only referee what is in front of you, assessors can only assess the same.
So if you have a match that doesn't enable you to demonstrate the higher level competencies, you can't be assessed on them.

A actually don't agree with grading the game as standard, challenging, etc.

A good referee can make a very difficult game look like a walk in the park, a bad referee can make an easy game look like the most challenging you have ever seen.

A good referee can make a very difficult game look like a walk in the park, a bad referee can make an easy game look like the most challenging you have ever seen.

True, but in terms of assessments the assessor would easily be able to tell the difference between a good referee making a difficult look easy and a bad referee making an easy game look hard.

A lot of 7-6 and 6-5 assessments will also be on Sunday mornings where the proficiency levels to be considered a good ref probably only means you were better than the week beforehand referee.

And if players pick up on that then they behave as a rule (until you do something they disagree with). They also know that if you're being assessed you'll react to indiscipline more severely (ie cards are more likely). Combine with this with the fact you'll probably run more/harder because you're being assessed as well.

This means games are naturally better in terms of your match control, and therefore won't be seen as challenging by the assessor.

I'm not a fan of this system of assessments because of the challenging issue mattering, however it is what it is. I've often said that sometimes with assessments it's almost worth being rubbish for the first 10 minutes to get players fired up and then clamping down afterwards!

And a good assessor will identify that a referee has made a challenging game look easy.

A lot of 7-6 and 6-5 assessments will also be on Sunday mornings where the proficiency levels to be considered a good ref probably only means you were better than the week beforehand referee.

And if players pick up on that then they behave as a rule (until you do something they disagree with). They also know that if you're being assessed you'll react to indiscipline more severely (ie cards are more likely). Combine with this with the fact you'll probably run more/harder because you're being assessed as well.

This means games are naturally better in terms of your match control, and therefore won't be seen as challenging by the assessor.

I'm not a fan of this system of assessments because of the challenging issue mattering, however it is what it is. I've often said that sometimes with assessments it's almost worth being rubbish for the first 10 minutes to get players fired up and then clamping down afterwards!

Is that the excuse we're going with? ;)

Mrs Darius would like me to start charging you for my report writing consultations, I shall allow this if you carry on.

And as for the good Assessors will spot it, not if they're playing football, playing with their grandkids or 40 minutes late after kick off.

All things that happened while I was doing these promotions!

Mrs Darius would like me to start charging you for my report writing consultations, I shall allow this if you carry on.

And as for the good Assessors will spot it, not if they're playing football, playing with their grandkids or 40 minutes late after kick off.

All things that happened while I was doing these promotions!

The clue is the bit in bold.....

Like referees, there are both good and bad assessors.

Back