The Ref Stop

Open Age no name sin bin / red card

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
A colleague of mine sin binned a player and subsequently sent him off for refusal to give any name. After asking 3 times and the captain saying "it's his choice not to give a name" the referee had no option. Even after the game the manager refused to name him.

The ref has reffed this team many times in the last year and has never seen this player before.

He suspects the player may be unregistered.

I know the county will ask for this player's name BUT what stops them from naming any registered player (i.e one that never plays) to avoid a suspension and letting them use an unregistered player?

The fine cannot be dodged but the suspension and playing an unregistered player can be.

I know a team sheet is submitted to the league after each game but that list may be untruthful.

Seems too easy to avoid justice. The team won the game 3-1.

The Ref Stop
All you can do is report what you were given. Whether that be Mickey Mouse or no name at all. Then let the County deal with the rest.

In theory a player could be under a sine die ban and a club still fields them under a false name. At grassroots, there will always be an element of trust required that clubs adhere to these things. But I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. After all, all you can do is control the controllables. And this isn’t really something you can control.

A colleague of mine sin binned a player and subsequently sent him off for refusal to give any name. After asking 3 times and the captain saying "it's his choice not to give a name" the referee had no option. Even after the game the manager refused to name him.

The ref has reffed this team many times in the last year and has never seen this player before.

He suspects the player may be unregistered.

I know the county will ask for this player's name BUT what stops them from naming any registered player (i.e one that never plays) to avoid a suspension and letting them use an unregistered player?

The fine cannot be dodged but the suspension and playing an unregistered player can be.

I know a team sheet is submitted to the league after each game but that list may be untruthful.

Seems too easy to avoid justice. The team won the game 3-1.

Easy to say after the match, could the referee have approached the manager before restarting the match for the players name, threaten abandonment if not provided, useful that they may have been winning at the time too?

Abandonment is an overreaction to something that is basically an administrative issue.
Why? your authority is totally undermined by the manager and the captain, for this match the team sheets are submitted after the game, so this team must know their players names. Maybe I am alone here by I would follow through with abandonment.

This has nothing to do with the referee. Ask for the name and if he won't give it just report it as that via an extraordinary incident and let the CFA / League sort it out.

This has nothing to do with the referee. Ask for the name and if he won't give it just report it as that via an extraordinary incident and let the CFA / League sort it out.
i know we cannot do anything i am trying to understand the mechanics of what the CFA can do "after the event".

i know we cannot do anything i am trying to understand the mechanics of what the CFA can do "after the event".
The CFA may not be able to do anything either. People will always find ways of circumventing rules. If enough cases are raised, the reality ultimately will be in the league taking a dim view of the club and perhaps taking stronger action, but it just might never be resolved.

The bottom line is that as referees we can just do our bit properly, and let others worry about any wider issues.

Why? your authority is totally undermined by the manager and the captain, for this match the team sheets are submitted after the game, so this team must know their players names. Maybe I am alone here by I would follow through with abandonment.
It isn't. Just referee the game as normal and deal with the situation. "Name please", "no", "I will give you one more chance, name please", "no". "Ok yellow card for the sin bin". That's it. Put in a report that the player refused to give his name and never think of it again. On to the next one

Whether the player was registered or not isn't really anything to do with the CFA either, that is down to the league.

The CFA will contact the club and ask them the name of the player. They will either have to offer up an innocent player's name or send the name of the actual player. With the former it won't flag any alarms, with the latter it might if the league are alert and realise that the player doesn't appear on the registrations list.

Back