A&H

No Lino’s

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
The night's must fly bye round your house :yawn:
I watch games totally differently now. I no longer just watch from a spectator perspective, I watch the game from a refereeing perspective so I guess that would include offside...

Who'd have thought watching footy was so boring...

The Referee Store
Don’t forget hopeful defenders ang GKs will appeal for anything that prevents a goal scored. You see it at almost every close call offside decision. F£&@ em! It’s your unbiased opinion that matters alone!

Don’t forget hopeful defenders ang GKs will appeal for anything that prevents a goal scored. You see it at almost every close call offside decision. F£&@ em! It’s your unbiased opinion that matters alone!

Nothing better than a keeper screaming about an offside decision from the other end of the pitch, I’m amazed they bother, who would think they have a better view from 100 meters away?

I watch games totally differently now. I no longer just watch from a spectator perspective, I watch the game from a refereeing perspective so I guess that would include offside...

I only jest because i also find myself boring the tits off of my missus since taking to the middle...

Being new to refereeing (and AR by default), I often watch the way the AR moves on tv and which hand he has his flag in after some blunt advice (but entirely accurate) that I was holding the flag in the wrong hand regularly and that my movements weren't 'natural'. This was during only my 2nd ever AR appointment, the first of which I was told by a very senior AR (entry level league) to always have the flag in your left hand.

I only jest because i also find myself boring the tits off of my missus since taking to the middle...
Ah, see I dont have these issues. My wife loves football and, I think, has a genuine interest in my refereeing. :rolleyes:

Being new to refereeing (and AR by default), I often watch the way the AR moves on tv and which hand he has his flag in after some blunt advice (but entirely accurate) that I was holding the flag in the wrong hand regularly and that my movements weren't 'natural'. This was during only my 2nd ever AR appointment, the first of which I was told by a very senior AR (entry level league) to always have the flag in your left hand.
He must have bee well old school. On the repeats of the old footy, often see liners flagging to the right with the flag in left hand.

Check with your ref society or rdo if they are holding any assistant training evenings. I learnt loads from these, just techniques of how to hold the flag so it doesnt **** to one side etc. That sort of stuff really polishes your look on the line and the observers seem to like it

There is a fair bit of goodies for ARs in the practical guidelines at the end of the LOTG starting page 189.

As for which hand to hold the flag, it says "The AR’s flag must always be unfurled and visible to the referee. This usually means the flag is carried in the hand closest to the referee." This is mostly your left hand but if you are running twards the half way line then it's your right hand.

I think, has a genuine interest in my refereeing

Whatever makes you sleep at night brother! :rolleyes::rolleyes: I thought I married the avid footy fan, pfftt gone out of the window when she got pregnant and not even the slightest interest since our daughter was born. The mother in law, expresses interest but i think only to humour me :angel:

There is a fair bit of goodies for ARs in the practical guidelines at the end of the LOTG starting page 189.

As for which hand to hold the flag, it says "The AR’s flag must always be unfurled and visible to the referee. This usually means the flag is carried in the hand closest to the referee." This is mostly your left hand but if you are running twards the half way line then it's your right hand.

I looked it up in the LOTG when I got back from the match. That's the problem with advice, not all of it is good!

Anyway, I've digressed

On this note, make sure you stick to British leagues. Continental refs have some incredibly odd flag mechanics which just confuse things more than anything (will often stand side on when lowering the flag for offside, then immediately withdraw it, whereas we wait in position until the ball is in the correct position etc.)

I openly explain to the players that I was facing the other way when the ball was played, and therefore by the time I've formed a picture players are in a different place too when the ball was played.

Can't use that excuse when following play and facing the right way, but that is when a wide angle is vital. Not at all suggesting you need to be out by the touchline, but equally you won't get it right if you run up and down the middle of the pitch as you can't possibly have players on both touchlines in view.

In my experience as an observer, where I do have a side on view always, referees on average get around 60-70% of offside decisions correct when on their own.

I openly explain to the players that I was facing the other way when the ball was played, and therefore by the time I've formed a picture players are in a different place too when the ball was played.

Can't use that excuse when following play and facing the right way, but that is when a wide angle is vital. Not at all suggesting you need to be out by the touchline, but equally you won't get it right if you run up and down the middle of the pitch as you can't possibly have players on both touchlines in view.

In my experience as an observer, where I do have a side on view always, referees on average get around 60-70% of offside decisions correct when on their own.
I refer you to my esteemed colleagues point:
Not really, you've got one massive advantage.... when you're right you are right and when you're wrong you are also right, and they have to accept that and not moan!

Back